In this article, we will guide you through the steps to fix the common issue of no sound via HDMI or DisplayPort in Ubuntu 22.04. This problem can occur due to various reasons such as incorrect audio settings, outdated or incompatible drivers, or even system bugs. Let’s dive in and explore the solutions.
Checking Your Graphics Drivers
The first step in troubleshooting this issue is to ensure that your graphics drivers are up to date. If you have an Nvidia graphics card, you need to install the necessary drivers. Here’s how:
- Open the Software & Updates app. You can do this by searching for it in the Ubuntu Dash or by clicking on the Ubuntu icon on your taskbar and typing “Software & Updates”.
- Once the app is open, go to the “Additional Drivers” tab.
- Make sure that the “Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-xxx (proprietary)” option is selected.
- Click on “Apply Changes”.
If the proprietary driver option was not selected, selecting it and applying the changes might solve your issue. If it was already selected, you might want to try the next steps.
Verifying Your Audio Settings
The next step is to check your audio settings in Ubuntu. Sometimes, the issue can be as simple as the incorrect output device being selected. Here’s how to verify your audio settings:
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on the “Sound” tab.
- Under the “Output” section, make sure that the HDMI/DisplayPort option is selected.
If the HDMI/DisplayPort option was not selected, selecting it might solve your issue. If it was already selected, let’s move on to the next steps.
Purging and Reinstalling Nvidia Drivers
If you have installed Nvidia drivers and are still experiencing issues, you can try purging them and then reinstalling them. Here’s how you can do it:
- Open a terminal. You can do this by pressing Ctrl+Alt+T.
- Run the following command:
This command removes all installed Nvidia drivers. The
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*
nvidiais a wildcard that matches all packages starting with
- After the purge is complete, you can reinstall the drivers by going back to the Software & Updates app and following the steps in the “Checking Your Graphics Drivers” section.
Remember to restart your system after making any changes to ensure that they take effect.
Checking for Known Bugs
In this article, we have covered some of the most common solutions to fix the no sound issue via HDMI/DisplayPort in Ubuntu 22.04. If none of the above solutions work, you may need to provide more specific information about your hardware and software configuration to receive further assistance. Remember, the Ubuntu community is always there to help you out. Good luck!
The issue of no sound via HDMI/DisplayPort in Ubuntu 22.04 can occur due to various reasons such as incorrect audio settings, outdated or incompatible drivers, or system bugs.
To check if your graphics drivers are up to date, open the "Software & Updates" app, go to the "Additional Drivers" tab, and ensure that the "Using NVIDIA driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-xxx (proprietary)" option is selected.
If the HDMI/DisplayPort option is not selected in the audio settings, you can select it under the "Output" section in the "Sound" tab of the Settings app.
To purge Nvidia drivers, open a terminal and run the command
sudo apt-get purge nvidia*. After the purge is complete, you can reinstall the drivers by going back to the Software & Updates app and following the steps in the "Checking Your Graphics Drivers" section.