A smart TV is a versatile gadget, and using it to stream or play around with Facebook is one of its many features. Sadly, not all smart TV has the capability to get Facebook to work on them. So, what are the ways to get Facebook to work on a Smart TV?
One way to get Facebook on a Smart TV is to download the Facebook Watch TV if your smart TV comes with a supported TV platform for the app. Otherwise, you can mirror your smartphone or PC to your TV or use the web browser to access Facebook.
Using Facebook on a larger screen is much more satisfying and a great option for many people. So, let’s take a closer look at how to get it done on different types of smart TVs.
Different Methods To Get Facebook on a Smart TV
It is possible to get Facebook on a smart TV. However, the method you use depends on the model of your smart TV and the features it supports. There are three ways to get Facebook to work on a smart TV. Some smart TVs will only support two or all three methods, while some will only support one.
Whichever method will work best for you, below are the three ways to get Facebook on your smart TV.
Method #1: Download the App
Getting the Facebook Watch TV app is the easiest way to get Facebook on your smart TV. Sadly, not all smart TVs support this app. If your smart TV does not come with the Apple 4th gen, Android, webOS 2014 or later, and other supported TV platforms on the Facebook website, then the Facebook Watch TV app won’t work on your TV.
So, check your smart TV user manual or Settings to know what platform it offers. If Facebook Watch TV supports your TV, follow the steps below to get it on your smart TV.
Here’s how to download Facebook Watch TV on your smart TV.
- Turn on your TV and go to the app store of your TV.
- In the app store of your TV, go to the search dialog, search for “Facebook Watch TV”, and download it.
- When the download is complete, open the app and tap on “Login”.
- An eight-digit code will display on your screen – take note of this code.
- On your smartphone or PC, go to www.facebook.com/device and enter the code displayed on your TV to link both devices.
- Once the pairing is complete, the app will refresh, and you can start watching videos and everything else on your smart TV.
Method #2: Mirror Your Smartphone or PC to the TV
Another option at your disposal to get Facebook on your smart TV is to mirror your smartphone or PC to your TV. Facebook has a feature that lets you cast a video to a large screen, view posts, and display its new feed.
This option is ideal if your smart TV does not allow you to download the Facebook Watch TV app. However, your smart TV must also be compatible with mirroring to use this feature.
Here’s how to mirror Facebook to a smart TV.
- Connect your smartphone or PC to the same Wi-Fi network as your TV.
- Go to the “Input” menu on your smart TV and enable “Screen Mirroring”.
- On your smartphone or PC, enable screen mirroring or download a third-party app like Screen Mirroring App, AirBeamTV, and so on to enable screen mirroring.
- Choose your TV from the list of devices you can mirror too.
- Establish a connection by following the on-screen instructions to complete the setup and then launch Facebook on your device, which will be displayed on your TV.
Not all smart TV supports screen mirroring. Suppose your smart TV does not support screen mirroring. In that case, you can always buy a screen mirroring device such as the Apple TV, Google Chromecast, Microsoft Wireless Display Adapter, Roku Express, etc.
Method #3: Open a Web Browser on the Smart TV
Another way to get Facebook to work on your smart TV is to use the web browser on your TV. While Facebook has a mobile app and even a PC app you can use, it can also be accessed via a web browser.
For this to work, your smart TV must have Wi-Fi compatibility and a web browser. And if you have a strong Wi-Fi network, navigating the app will seem seamless. This option is ideal if you want the full Facebook experience on your smart TV.
Here’s how to get Facebook on your smart TV by using the web browser on your TV.
- Connect your smart TV to a reliable Wi-Fi network.
- Launch the web browser on your smart TV and go to www.facebook.com.
- Fill in your Facebook username and password, then tap on “Login”.
- When you successfully log in to your account, you have Facebook on your smart TV and can watch videos, catch up with newsfeeds, and even chat with friends on a large screen.
You might need to connect other peripherals, such as a keyboard, to your smart TV to make navigation easier, although it is not compulsory.
The easiest and safest way to get Facebook on your smart TV is by mirroring your smartphone or PC to your smart TV. When you mirror your smart TV, you do not compromise the security of your Facebook account, as no one can go to the TV and check your messages or do anything with your account.
You must take your Facebook account’s security seriously when logging your account on another device, including a smart TV. Or better still, use the web browser on your smart TV, but remember not to allow the browser to save your password so that you have to input your password when you want to connect next time.