Have you been missing your calls, alerts, and notifications on your iPhone recently? If so, some of your past settings have made your iPhone silent.
To unsilence your iPhone, first, disable the silent and Do Not Disturb modes. Next, find out if the “Silence Unknown Calls” setting is “ON.” If it is, turn it “OFF.” If that doesn’t work, try raising your phone’s ringer volume and disabling the sleep schedule.
This article will detail each of these methods to unsilence your iPhone.
5 Ways to Unsilence Your iPhone
Here’s a list of 5 ways through which you can make your silent iPhone talk. Try each one, and see which one works for you.
Method #1: Disable Silent Mode
All phones have a silent mode which you often turn on to keep your phone quiet during important meetings. In Android phones, the silent mode can be enabled through a setting on the top of the navigation bar. However, Apple has added more convenience for iPhone users. You will find a silent switch on the left side of the iPhone.
With this mute/silent switch, you can switch from ringing to silent modes. If, by mistake, you turned on the silent mode, an orange line would be visible. It shows that the phone is mute. To unsilence the phone, turn the switch until the orange line gets invisible. That’s the normal ringing mode.
If your phone wasn’t on silent mode, you can move to the next step.
Method #2: Turn Off Do Not Disturb Mode
Apart from the silent mode, the Do Not Disturb mode also silences your phone calls and other notifications. You need to turn it off through the control center to unsilence your phone.
There are two ways to disable the Do Not Disturb mode:
- For iPhones with Face ID, swipe down from the top edge, and you will see a listed menu with “Do Not Disturb” on the top. It bears a moon icon. Tap it until the background becomes gray. If it’s already gray, it means the mode is already off.
- For iPhones with a home button, swipe from the bottom to land in the control center. The rest procedure is the same as discussed above.
Method #3: Turn Off Silence Unknown Callers
Most iOS users don’t know about this setting since it became part of iPhones from IOS 13 onwards. When this setting is turned on, it mutes the calls from all unknown numbers that are not in your contact list. However, they are still displayed on your phone’s “Recents” list. Follow these steps to disable the Silencing Unknown Callers setting.
- Go to the Settings app.
- Then, scroll down to “Phone.”
- There, you will find the toggle for enabling or disabling this setting.
Method #4: Raise Your Phone’s Ringer Volume
If your phone’s volume is very low, or off, it makes the phone behave as if it is in silent mode. Since the ring volume is low, you won’t hear it ring when you have incoming calls.
There are multiple ways to raise the volume. First, the buttons on the side of the iPhone can help you raise the ringer and alert volume. Second, you can ask Siri to “turn the volume up.” Third, through the settings app by following these steps:
- Go to the Settings app.
- Scroll down and find “Sound and Haptics.”
- Under “Ringer and Alerts,” there is a volume slider that can raise the phone’s volume.
Method #5: Turn Off Sleep Schedule
Another feature that you find in iPhones is Sleep Schedule. If your iPhone is set on a sleep schedule, the phone automatically mutes all incoming calls during that duration. The same goes for all other alerts and notifications. To disable the sleep time schedule, follow these steps:
- Go to the Health app.
- Tap “Browse” on the bottom right corner. It takes you to a list of health menus. The “Sleep” is usually third on the list.
- Under the sleep menu, scroll down and find “Full Schedule & Options.”
- Press the switch in front of “Sleep Schedule” to Turn it off. However, if the sleep schedule is never set, you will never get through this step in the first place.
How To Unsilence iPhone When It’s Locked
Now, most of the ways mentioned in this post work when the iPhone is unlocked. However, there is also a way to unsilence the iPhone when it is locked. That is through the silent switch located on its right. Moving that switch will let you silence or unsilence the phone without unlocking it.
If you wish to block unwanted calls from coming through on your iPhone, it can be very upsetting if you miss an essential call because your phone did not ring. Fortunately, now you’ve got a few things you can do to ensure that you hear all your incoming calls.