Over time, your PS4 controller will degrade, depending on how long the battery lasts and then how well the controller works.
A PS4 controller can last up to 10 years, depending on how well you take care of it, and a fully charged PS4 battery can last up to 12 hours in optimal condition.
Today we will tell you how long a PS4 controller lasts, depending on its lifetime and battery. Let’s get right into our guide!
- What Is the Lifespan of a PlayStation 4 Controller?
- How Long Does a Fully-Charged PS4 controller battery Last?
- Frequently Asked Questions
What Is the Lifespan of a PlayStation 4 Controller?
How long your PS4 battery lasts depends on how well you use it, change its composition, and use it consistently. If you take good care of your PS4 controller and are not on the game all days of the week, your PS4 controller should last for at least four years.
As a day and night gamer, you should not expect your controller to last as long as someone who plays once in a while.
How to Make The Controller Last Longer?
To make the controller last for as long as possible, below are the care tips for your controller.
Keep Away from Water
Considering that your PS4 controller is not waterproof, you should do everything to keep it away from water. It will also mean that you do not keep it around with high temperatures to avoid forming steam around the controller.
Apply Limited Force
Understandably, you are angry that the internet is lagging or that you did your best to win the game, but your controller is not your anger outlet. Rather than take out your anger on the controller, take a walk, or get a protective rubber covering for the controller.
And ensure you do not hit your controller on the wall or any hard surface.
Keep It Clean
Accumulation of dust on your PS4 controller will make your buttons and analog stick drift. Please do not wait till the buttons stick before you clean it. Clean the outer part of your controller regularly and use compressed air to get rid of the dust in the inner part of your controller.
You can also get a PS4 controller to keep the dust minimal.
Keep It Safe
Apart from keeping it away from water and steam, you still have to keep your controller away from falls and other disasters. When your controller is not in use, don’t put heavy things on it, and keep it somewhere where it will not easily fall off.
How Long Does a Fully-Charged PS4 controller battery Last?
If you just got a PS4, its battery should last between ten and twelve hours after a full charge. And as time goes on, a fully charged battery will last between 6 and 8 hours because the battery will degrade as the controller ages.
How to Slow Down the Battery’s Degradation Rate?
- Keep your controller away from heat and direct sunlight.
- Do not overcharge your battery. Please remove it from the power source once it is fully charged.
- Do not let the battery discharge completely. The controller will give a sign when the battery is low and charge it immediately.
- Do not regularly use your controller while charging.
- Do not leave your battery discharged for long.
- If you do not use your controller always, charge your battery once every three months.
- Turn down elements on the PS4 that use up battery life – elements like speaker volume, vibrations, and the likes.
- Bring forward the controller’s shut-off time. This feature turns off your controller when it is not in use. You can set it to 15 to 30 minutes.
- Please turn off your PS4 controller when it is not in use.
How to Replace Your PS4 Controller’s Battery?
Replacing your PS4 battery is another way to ensure that the battery life lasts longer after fully charging it. The PS4 controller comes with a 1000mAh battery, but you can decide to replace it with a higher battery capacity.
The battery replacement process is easy to do yourself; get a new battery and install it.
Changing your PS4 controller’s battery to a new one will void the warranty.
How Long Does It Take to Charge a PS4 controller Battery Fully?
To fully charge your PS4 controller, it will take at least 2 hours. If you are charging it from halfway, it might not take that long before it is fully charged.
Charge your controller by plugging your console with a Micro USB cable into the power source. Please put it in rest mode while charging.
To know if it is charging, you will notice a light orange bar slowly blinking. When you no longer see the blinking, it is fully charged. You can also check how much it has charged by pressing and holding the PS button, and the charge level will show on the screen.
Precautions to Take While Charging Your PS4 controller battery
- Use an AC adapter to prevent power surges from damaging your controller.
- Do not use smartphone’s Micro USB cables.
- Ensure the USB wall charger’s current does not exceed the current meant for your PS4 controller.
Charging time will be more if you use the controller as you are charging it.
Your PS4 controller battery is rechargeable; the more it discharges and recharges, the faster it will degrade. Be prepared for the time, and you can either get a backup controller so that it lasts longer or replace it when it wears out.
The same thing applies to your controller; even though you can replace parts of the controller, there will be a day when the controller itself stops responding, and you will have no choice but to get another.
This article gives you the necessary precautions and instructions to ensure that your controller’s battery is long-lasting; follow it diligently to take optimal advantage of your controller.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you leave your PS4 controller on overnight once in a while, it is not a problem, especially if you are charging it or in the rest mode. But if you are constantly using it overnight or regularly leave it on overnight, it might degrade your battery and your controller’s lifetime.
If it is not in use, it is best to turn it off. And if it is fully charged, do not leave it plugged in overnight.
Some people get a new PS4 controller while the old one is still in good condition to have a backup and increase the lifespan of the old PS4 controller.
But if you want to wait till the old PS4 controller wears out, here are a few signs you notice and know you need a new controller:
1. The buttons of the PS4 controller start sticking.
2. The controller randomly goes off.
3. A fully charged battery lasts only a couple of hours.
4. The controller starts to malfunction.
The analog stick is one of the first parts of the controller to wear down. Depending on the quality of materials used to make the analog stick, it should last for about a year before you have any complaints.
If you have your PS4 controller plugged in, you do not notice the orange light blinking. Try the following tips:
1. Change the Micro USB cable you are using to charge it.
2. Check your controller’s charging port.
3. Reset the PS4 controller.
4. Repair the controller.
If you are worried about too much dust on your PS4 controller, cleaning it is a good idea. These are the materials needed to clan your PS4.
1. A clean piece of cloth.
2. A T9 screwdriver.
3. A can of compressed air.
4. Cotton swab.