Did you know that you can add apps to your Dock on Mac? It’s easy to do and can speed up your workflow. But the question remains, how? Read on to learn more!
Setting up your Dock with all the necessary apps is not a big deal. In fact, it will hardly engage a few minutes of your life. You can add new apps to the Dock by simply dragging and dropping them into the desired location. Not just that, you can also employ the “Keep in Dock” option and get the job done.
Adding an app to the Dock on your Mac is a great way to have it easily accessible and close at hand. This tutorial will show you how to add an app to the Dock and customize its position. Let’s get started!
How To Add Apps to Dock on Mac
The Dock on a Mac is a handy way to keep your most-used apps and documents close at hand. By default, the Dock includes shortcuts to the Finder, Launchpad, and the Trash, but you can easily add your own items. Let’s walk through a couple of super-simple ways to help you load your Mac’s Doc with all the desired apps in minutes.
Method 1: Drag and Drop
Speaking of the most straightforward ways to fill up your Mac’s Dock, we’ve got the drag-drop option lined up first. Yes, you can add new apps to the Dock by simply dragging and dropping them into the desired location from the Finder utility. Here is how.
- Click on the Finder icon inside your Dock to bring the Finder utility to the foreground.
- Navigate to the menu bar located at the very top of the screen.
- Click “Go” and hit the “Applications” option from the list.
- The “Applications” folder will then launch within a Finder window. Hover over to the desired app, click on it and initiate the dragging gesture.
- Drop it anywhere inside the Dock, and that’s it.
As you hover over the Dock with your mouse cursor, other app icons will move aside and create space for the one you’re after. When it’s in its desired location, all you need to do is release the button at once—and poof! Everything pops back into place like magic!
Method 2: Employing the “Keep in Dock” Option
Another super-simple way to add desired apps to your Dock is by using the “Keep in Dock” option; here is how.
- Launch the desired app using Finder or the Launchpad. It ensures that the app icon is already sitting inside your Dock just because you’re running it.
- Right-click the app icon.
- A list of options should pop open; select “Options” followed by “Keep in Dock“.
That does it! Now, even if you decide to quit the app, the icon for the same will remain in your Dock for seamless access.
Removing an App From the Dock
The Dock is a great way to keep your most-used apps close at hand. But sometimes you need to make room for new ones or get rid of some that you no longer use. Thankfully, removing an app from the Dock is easy—just drag it out! Yes, it’s that simple.
- Launch the Dock and find the app.
- Click and hold on to the app’s icon until it starts wiggling.
- Drag it up and off the Dock.
Don’t like to drag it out? Wait, we’ve got an alternative solution.
- Head over to your Dock.
- Find the app you’re after.
- Navigate to the icon and right-click on it.
- From the menu that pops up, select “Options“.
- After that, tap the “Remove From Dock” button.
The app will still be on your computer, so don’t worry about deleting anything. If you ever want to add it back to the Dock, just drag it from the “Applications” folder back into the Dock. That’s all there is to it!
Well, there you have it! Your complete guide to adding apps to the Dock on your Mac. We hope you found this tutorial helpful and easy to follow. Apart from uncovering the addition method, we’ve made sure to help you learn how to remove any.
Now, add all your favorite apps to the Dock for easy access. Have a question or comment? Let us know in the comments section below. Thanks for reading!