AirDrop allows you to wirelessly connect your iPhone, iPad, and Mac computer with one another and share files between them. It is the most reliable file-sharing app/software for transferring files between Apple devices.
You can AirDrop files from your iPhone or iPad to your Mac computer by turning on the AirDrop and Bluetooth on both devices. Once connected, click the device you want to send, and select “AirDrop“. Finally, select the name of your Mac computer as the recipient of the file.
You will learn how to transfer files through other wireless connections as you continue reading. However, let’s first see the step-by-step guide to transferring files to a Mac computer using AirDrop.
- How To AirDrop to a Computer
- How Do You Wirelessly Transfer Files From iPhone to Computer?
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To AirDrop to a Computer
Here is how to share files on AirDrop from your iPhone or iPad to a Mac computer.
- On your Mac computer, click “Finder“.
- On the menu at the top of the screen, select “Go“. After that, an AirDrop page will open. Bluetooth and Wi-Fi must be turned on to use AirDrop; a button to turn it on will appear if it is not enabled.
- On your iPhone or iPad, open Settings and search for and click “AirDrop“.
- In the receiving options that appear, choose “Everyone“. You should select everyone since you are sharing it to a Mac computer.
- Go back and open the file, document, photo, video, or other items you’d like to share.
- Tap the “Menu” button on the file page.
- Tap “Share” > “AirDrop“.
- Select the name of your Mac computer as the recipient.
If you are to transfer from Mac to iPhone, follow through to the end of step 4, then continue from the step below.
- From step 5 above, open the file on your Mac. On the menu of the document, click “Share“.
- Click “Send a Copy” and select “AirDrop” as the transfer means.
A quicker way to do this is to Ctrl-click the file. The “Share” option will pop up; select it and pick “AirDrop“.
How Do You Wirelessly Transfer Files From iPhone to Computer?
You can wirelessly send files from your iPhone to your PC through iTunes, Cloud, Bluetooth, and WiFi-enabled third-party apps.
Here are the different wireless connection methods to send files to the computer from your iPhone or iPad.
Method #1: Transfer Files From iPhone to Computer Via Bluetooth
Here are steps to transfer files from your iPhone to a computer using Bluetooth.
- Turn on Bluetooth on your iPhone and PC and make it visible.
- On your iPhone, click the name of your computer and let it pair with your iPhone.
- Select the file you want to share.
- From the share list that appears, click “Bluetooth“.
Method #2: Using iTunes To Send Files from iPhone/iPad to Mac
iTunes allows you to transfer files from some apps on your iPhone to your Mac PC. However, ensure that you have the latest version of iTunes on your Mac computer before beginning file transfer.
Here are the ways to transfer files from iPhone to Mac PC using iTunes.
- Enable Wi-Fi sync on both devices.
- On the iTunes of your Mac PC, go to the “iPhone” button. A list of apps on your iPhone will appear on the iTunes windows page.
- Choose the app from which you will transfer files from iPhone to PC.
- Select the file and click “Save to“.
- Choose the desired location to save the file and click “Save“.
Method #3: Send Files From iPhone to PC Using iCloud
Here is how to send files from your iPhone to your PC using iCloud.
- On your iPhone, go to “Settings” > “Apple ID” > “iCloud“.
- Turn on “iCloud Drive“.
- Select the files that you want to transfer.
- Click “Share” and select “iCloud drive“.
- On your PC, log in to your icloud.com.
- Go to the “iCloud Drive” folder and download the file you shared with it.
Method #4: Send Files From iPhone/iPad Using the Air Transfer App
Use the Air Transfer app to transfer files from iPhone to PC wirelessly following these steps below.
- Download the Air Transfer app.
- On your iPhone, turn on your hotspot and let your computer connect through Wi-Fi.
- Open the Air Transfer app. It will display the file categories to share. You can share “Text Memos“, “Bookmarks“, “Images“, “Music“, “Movies“, “Documents“, and many more.
- Copy your Wi-Fi IP address and paste it into your PC browser. You will find your IP address when you click on the Wi-Fi icon on your screen bottom.
- If you want to send a file to your computer, open any file categories you want to share and click “Send“. If you’re going to transfer a file to your iPhone, drag the file to your computer and drop it in the drag file section.
AirDrop allows you to transfer files from your iPhone/iPad to a Mac computer better than other wireless transfer means. This article will guide you through sharing the following file on your iPhone/iPad to your Mac computer.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can use AirDrop on your iPhone or iPad to transfer files to a Mac computer.
Yes, you can download and install AirDrop on a Mac PC and send files to another iOS or iPad device. However, if it is a non-Mac PC, you can’t use AirDrop. Non-Apple computers like Windows and Linux do not support AirDrop.