The RAM on your PC is memory that allows the system to access data faster than it would through its disk storage, be it SSD or HDD. The amount of RAM your PC uses to run apps is decided automatically. However, if you’d like a particular app to run smoother, you can allocate more RAM to it. So, how do you allocate RAM on a PC?
Generally, there are several ways to allocate RAM on a PC. One way is to use the Task Manager to prioritize RAM usage by certain apps. Another way is to use a third-party app like ATLauncher or CurseForge.
Usually, when an app has access to more RAM, it should improve its performance. But if your PC is low on RAM and you allocate more RAM to a specific app, it could cause the app to crash as there wouldn’t be enough RAM for system functions. Keep reading to learn more about allocating RAM on a PC.
Different Methods To Allocate RAM on a PC
The easiest way to boost the performance of a particular app is to allocate more RAM to it. If you have already installed the maximum amount of RAM you can install on the PC or cannot get your hands on more RAM, you should increase the virtual memory on your PC. But if you have limited RAM space, you should consider installing more RAM on your PC.
The virtual memory on your PC acts like the RAM. The difference between RAM and virtual memory is that virtual memory moves data from RAM to disc storage for a short period. Note that while virtual memory functions like RAM, they are not as fast as RAM. Hence your PC moves data that it does not need immediately to the virtual memory, while it leaves the most important data in the actual RAM.
Below, we elaborate on the steps to follow to allocate RAM to certain apps on a PC.
Method #1: Using the Task Manager
The Task Manager is a utility tool on Windows PCs that shows all the processes and programs currently running on your PC. It is an excellent tool for monitoring your PC’s performance. You can also use the Task Manager to monitor the network status on your PC. It is no doubt a useful tool and can also be used for RAM allocation.
Here’s how to allocate RAM with Task Manager.
- On your Windows PC, click the Start icon, search for “task manager”, or use the shortcut Ctrl + Shift + Esc to launch the Task Manager.
- Click on the “Detail” tab at the top of the Task Manager window.
- From the list of running applications, look for the app you want to allocate more RAM to and right-click on it.
- From the pop-up option, hover over the “Set Priority” option and set it at “High” or “Real-time”, depending on how much RAM you want your PC to allocate.
- A prompt will pop up on your PC asking you to confirm the changes. Click on “Change Priority”, and you can close the window.
With the Task Manager, you cannot allocate a specific amount of RAM to a certain app. However, it only allows you to prioritize RAM usage to certain apps.
Method #2: Using Third-Party Apps
Finding the perfect third-party app to use is what’s most important for this task. You can use several third-party apps to allocate RAM to specific programs. There are free and paid versions, depending on your goal. For example, if you’re going to operate a Minecraft server, you need enough RAM to support users and any in-game modification. Software like CurseForge will come in handy in allocating RAM to play Minecraft effortlessly on your PC.
Here’s how to use CurseForge to allocate RAM on a PC.
- Download and install the CurseForge app on your PC.
- Launch the CurseForge app and click on the gear icon at the lower-left corner of your screen.
- In the Settings menu, look for the app-specific area and choose the app you want to use, in this case, Minecraft.
- Scroll down, and in the “Java Settings”, use the slider to select how much RAM you want to allocate by dragging it and dropping it where you want.
- The changes will save automatically, so you can exit the app when done.
Allocating more RAM to a specific software on your computer is better than prioritizing it. However, allocating more RAM to software using third-party apps differs; it depends on what you are working with.
RAM is one of the most critical components that affect the computer’s performance. If the available RAM is low or insufficient, applications and other software on your computer will perform slower and even crash in the middle of your job. Hence, the need for you to know how to allocate extra RAM to a program.
While you may have thought you would need complex code and everything in between to allocate RAM, it is pretty straightforward for anyone to perform. However, note not to over-allocate RAM to specific apps as this can cause apps on your PC to crash.