The purpose of an IP address is to establish a connection between gadgets that exchange information across a network. Every device on the internet has an IP address; without one, you won’t be able to reach them. If you suspect a particular IP address is infiltrating your network, it’s best to block the IP address.
Blocking an IP address is necessary when you are preventing someone from accessing your home network. If you are looking for ways to block an IP address on an iPhone, this article is for you.
So, how do you block an IP address on your iPhone?
If you’re using a home wireless network, you can block an IP address from the router admin panel.
To block an IP address, type 192.168.0.1 on your iPhone’s web browser to access the router’s administrative page. You can use alternative IP addresses if the one mentioned earlier doesn’t work.
Key in your password or admin username if prompted. Next, search for the “Firewall“, “Bandwidth Control“, or “Block Site Configuration” page. Finally, type in the domain name of the IP address you want to block, then click “Add” > “Save“.
You can also block individual IP addresses connected to your home network by toggling the internet access button to off.
To learn more about blocking an IP address on an iPhone, read this article to the end.
Overview of Blocking an IP Address on iPhone
Besides having numerous benefits, the internet is also a source of undesirable traffic, including spammers, hackers, spies, etc. If you don’t protect yourself, it’s easy for prying third parties to access your private information and use it to steal your identity, hack into your accounts, or send you annoying spam messages. This is where blocking an IP address comes in.
When spammers or hackers attempt to infiltrate your network, blocking their specific IP address prevents them from accessing your data. Remember, when hackers access your information, they can use it to manipulate you or even access your bank details and rob you. It’s essential to take preventative measures whenever you suspect any hacking activities on your iPhone.
As mentioned earlier, blocking an IP address has more uses than protecting your privacy. Protecting your online activities is essential, especially when you think a particular IP address is tracking you.
Next, we delve into the exact steps to blocking an IP address on an iPhone.
Blocking an IP Address on iPhone: Step-by-Step Guide
If you’re using a wireless home network for your iPhone’s internet connection, you can block an IP address from your router’s admin panel. Remember this method can only work if you can access your home network admin panel.
Here’s how to do it.
- Launch your iPhone’s web browser, and enter the IP address “192.168.0.1” to find your router’s administrative page. You can try using the “192.168.0.0” or “192.168.1.2” IP addresses if the first one doesn’t work.
- Enter the correct username and password if prompted. Most routers usually set the username as “admin” or leave it blank, and the password is set to “admin” (without the quotes).
- Navigate to the “Block Sites” or “Firewall” configuration page, sometimes listed under “Content Filtering” or “Parental Filtering” settings.
- Click on the configuration page link.
- In the form’s blank space with the words “Type keyword or domain name here“, enter the domain name of the IP address you want to block or select one from the list of IP addresses connected to your home network, then tap “Add“. Alternatively, you can go to “Advanced” settings and use the “MAC Address Filter” to block IPs.
- Scroll to the bottom of the configuration page and click on “Apply” or “Save“, depending on the displayed options.
- Reboot your Wi-Fi router for the changes to take effect.
You can only use this method to block IP addresses from connecting to your home network. The steps may also vary depending on the type of router you’re using.
Why Block an IP Address
There are several reasons for blocking an IP address, including the following.
Hackers and spammers attempt to infiltrate your network to access your personal information. After, they use this information to steal your identity, access bank accounts, or sell your data to ad agencies.
Maintaining Online Privacy
Some IP addresses infiltrate your network as a way to track your location and pry on your online activities. Blocking such IP addresses is the best way to maintain online anonymity.
As you’ve learned, blocking an IP address on your home network using an iPhone is pretty straightforward. Type “192.168.0.1” on your web browser, then input your password. Next, search for the “Firewall” configuration page and type in the IP address you want to block. Finally, go to “Add” > “Save”.