In today’s digital world, spam emails, phishing emails, and other unwanted emails are very common. They occur regularly, and there is a need to block the senders of such emails for security reasons.
Thanks to many email service companies—like Google’s Gmail—users have the “Block” option. To access the “Block” button on Gmail, click on the menu (︙) icon at the top-right corner of your screen.
In the remainder of this blog post, you will learn how to block and unblock email addresses on the Gmail app. Also, you will see how to prevent spam emails and unsubscribe from them.
- How To Block Someone on a Gmail App
- How To Block an Email Address on Gmail From a PC Browser
- Can You Tell If Someone Blocked Your Email in Gmail?
- How To Unblock an Email Address on Gmail
- How To Permanently Mark as Spam on Gmail
- How To Prevent Unwanted or Spam Emails on Gmail
- How To Unsubscribe From a Mail on Gmail
- Frequently Asked Questions
How To Block Someone on a Gmail App
Here is how to block someone on the Gmail app.
- Launch the Gmail app.
- Click the email you intend to shut off.
- Tap on the menu (︙) button on the top-right section next to the sender’s name.
- Click the “Block” button (e.g., Block XYZ).
How To Block an Email Address on Gmail From a PC Browser
- Go to gmail.com on your PC browser.
- Sign in with your Gmail address and password.
- Click the email sent by the person you want to block.
- Hit the menu (︙) button next to the sender’s name.
- Hit “Block XYZ“.
Can You Tell If Someone Blocked Your Email in Gmail?
No, you can’t tell if someone blocked you on Gmail. However, you can use some signs to know if someone blocked you.
For instance, if the recipient consistently fails to reply to email messages that should usually be responded to, there could be a slim chance that the receiver blocked you.
However, the chance of this could be very slim. Also, if people keep telling you that they found your message in the spam folder, it could mean that some people may have blocked you. Hence, Gmail registers your email address as spam.
How To Unblock an Email Address on Gmail
To unblock an email address on Gmail, all you have to do is to reverse the process of blocking the person.
Here is how to unlock a sender on Gmail when using a PC browser.
- Go to gmail.com.
- Input your Gmail address and password and log in.
- Click on the settings ⚙️ icon.
- Choose the “See All Settings” option.
- Navigate to “Filters and Blocked Addresses“. A list of all blocked emails will appear.
- Please select the email address you want to unblock and click it.
Here is how to unblock a sender on Gmail when using the Gmail app.
- Go to your Gmail app and open the email of the person you blocked.
- Click on “Unblock XYZ“.
How To Permanently Mark as Spam on Gmail
At times, we will successfully unsubscribe from an email address, but it will still show up as spam messages. You will usually find this email in the spam folder.
When this happens, it is usually because of glitches in the unsubscription process. It can also occur because the sender still sends the email regardless of you unsubscribing from the mail.
Such emails usually appear in the spam folder. Nevertheless, you can permanently block the email from recurring.
Here is what you can do.
- Go to your Spam folder.
- Open the email that still appears after you unsubscribe from it.
- Click the “Unsubscribe” web link once more.
- Click the “Block” option to permanently prevent the email from recurring in the spam folder. You will find the block option when you click the menu (︙) button next to the sender’s name.
How To Prevent Unwanted or Spam Emails on Gmail
The best way to prevent unwanted or spam mails is not to hand over your email address in the first place. However, as that is not possible, you could limit whoever has access to your email address.
Placing your email address will make you more prone to receiving unwanted and spam messages. Hence, it is essential not to keep your email address public on social media if you don’t want to receive spam messages.
Another security tip you should attempt is to ensure you verify the website before signing up for emails/newsletters. Many phishing websites have been registered on Gmail as spam. You should avoid signing up for such kinds of websites. Also, if the website doesn’t seem genuine, avoid signing up on it.
How To Unsubscribe From a Mail on Gmail
To unsubscribe from an email address newsletters/emails, scroll down the message and click the “Unsubscribe” button.
Most email messages from websites have the “Unsubscribe” button located at the bottom of the email message. When you click it, it will take you to the “Unsubscribe” page. It may also take you to the website page to confirm that you want to unsubscribe.
Alternatively, some websites allow you to unsubscribe directly from their site if you have an account with them. You can also set your mail preferences as you want.
Blocking an email address can offer security from phishing emails or unwanted spam emails. Ensure you learn how to block an email address, unsubscribe, and prevent unwanted emails in this article.
Frequently Asked Questions
Subsequent emails from blocked addresses usually enter the Spam folder. You can hit the “Report as Spam” button to prevent the email from appearing again.
There is always a “Block” option on Gmail. However, you will not find a block option if the person you want to block has never sent you an email. In other words, if you are the only one who has been the sender of the mail, you can’t block the receiver.