The internet has numerous uses and is often our go-to place for communicating and finding information on any issue. While the internet contains helpful content, we are equally at risk of seeing harmful content online. For our safety and sanity, we must block some websites to protect ourselves from exposure to malicious, offensive, and sexually inappropriate content.
You can block websites on Android by using the Block Site add-on on your web browser. If your default browser doesn’t support it, download the Block Site application and block the website from the app. Alternatively, you can use the parental control option on anti-virus apps. Other methods include using the NoRoot Firewall or a family-friendly website.
This article provides ways to block unwanted websites when you or your kids use your Android devices to surf the internet.
Method #1: Using a Block Site Extension or App
Whether you’re trying to focus on your work without distractions or remove harmful, malicious content, or sexually inappropriate content for the sake of your kids, Block Site is the way to go.
Your web browser determines whether you should use the Block Site add-on in your browser or download the app and block unwanted sites from there. Google Chrome might allow you to add extensions on the desktop app, but you don’t have that luxury on your mobile app. You must download the Block Site application if you’re using Google Chrome on your Android device.
Browsers like Firefox and Opera allow you to add the Block Site extension on your Android device. Follow the steps below to use the Block Site extension.
- Open Firefox or Opera.
- Go to the Firefox add-ons website or the Opera add-ons website to download add-ons on each site.
- Type “Block Site” into the search box and click the search icon.
- Click “Add to Firefox”.
- Go to the add-ons page on your web browser and select “Block Site”.
- Add the websites that you want to block.
If your web browser does not support the Block Site extension, follow the steps below to use the software application.
- Download and install the Block Site app from Google Play Store.
- Open the app.
- Tap the plus (+) sign at the bottom right corner of the screen.
- Enter the website URL you want to block and tap the green check mark.
- Tap the clock icon at the top right corner of the screen and schedule the time and days you want the websites to be blocked.
- Tap the toggle beside “Schedule” to block the site.
Method #2: Using Parental Control on Security Apps
Security Apps on your Android help to protect your device from security threats. However, some security apps have the parental control feature, which allows you to block unwanted websites.
We recommend using the Mobile Security and Anti-Virus by Trend Micro. The app is very effective for protecting your device, but its parental control is a premium feature requiring an annual subscription fee of $20. This is a small price to pay for the premium protection it offers.
To block sites with Trend Micro, follow the steps below.
- Download and install the Mobile Security and Antivirus app by Trend Micro on your Android device.
- Launch the app and set up your account.
- Scroll down and switch on “Parental Control”.
- Input the password of your new account and tap “OK”. You can customize the parental control settings as you wish.
- Go to the blocked list and tap “Add”.
- Enter the name and URL of the website you want to block.
- Tap “Save” to add the website to the blocked list.
Method #3: Using NoRoot Firewall
Blocking websites with a firewall mostly requires rooting your Android device. However, we advise you to avoid rooting your device because it exposes it to numerous risks. Instead, go for the few root-free options. We recommend the NoRoot Firewall app.
Follow the steps below to use the firewall app.
- Download and install the NoRoot Firewall app.
- Launch the app and select the “Global” tab at the bottom.
- Tap “New Pre-Filter”.
- Enter the website URL in the address section.
- Check the “Wi-Fi and Data” checkbox at the top to block the website on both connections.
- Select the asterisk (*) on the “Port” tab and press “OK”.
- Return to the “Home” tab and tap “Start”.
Method #4: Using a Family-Friendly Web Browser
If you don’t want to go through the stress of manually blocking unwanted website URLs each time you come across them, this option might appeal to you.
A family-friendly browser like the SPIN safe browser does not allow access to inappropriate or sexually explicit content. All you need to do is download it and make it yours or your child’s default browser. Then, you won’t have to worry about them finding inappropriate content online.
Because we know how important it is to protect yourself and your kids from unwanted content on the internet, we spared no effort in finding quick and easy ways to block malicious websites. We’ve done our part, and now it’s time to do yours.