If you’ve only started using an iPad, there’s so much that you need to learn. One is how to make a call to keep in touch with family, friends, and acquaintances. Luckily, it’s easy, and you can get started in a minute.
There are three methods to make a call on an iPad. The most straightforward way is to insert a SIM card and call people saved on the card as you do on an iPhone, and the other is setting up FaceTime and using the app to make voice and video calls. Last but not least, you can install a third-party app like Skype on your iPad and use it to make calls to anyone, anytime.
Keep reading to know how to make and receive calls on an iPad through three methods.
Method #1: Insert SIM Card
You can use your iPad to make and receive calls or send text messages by inserting a SIM card. Here’s how to go about it.
- Turn off your iPad.
- Locate the SIM card slot on your iPad (usually on the left side).
- Use a pin to remove the SIM card tray from the slot.
- Insert a SIM card into the tray and slip it back into the iPad.
- Turn on the iPad.
- Tap the Contacts app and choose the contact you wish to call.
- Tap the “Call” button.
Method #2: Use FaceTime
The FaceTime app is the quickest way to call on an iPad. This app is designed to help you stay in touch with your family and friends using supported Apple devices (iOS 9, iPadOS 13, MacOS 10.10, or later).
All you need is an Apple ID and an internet connection.
Setting Up FaceTime
Before you can start calling people on your iPad using FaceTime, you need to set up an account first. Here’s how to do it.
- Open Settings.
- Scroll through the options and select “FaceTime“.
- Activate FaceTime and select “Use Your Apple ID for FaceTime“.
- Click “Sign In“, then enter your Apple ID.
Once you have a FaceTime account running, these are the steps to call using the app.
- Open the FaceTime app.
- Click on the plus (+) sign to choose the person you wish to reach from the contact list.
- Press the Audio button to make a voice call or the Video button to make a video call.
You can also make group calls on your iPad using FaceTime. The Group FaceTime call allows you to call a group of up to 32 members. Unfortunately, this feature may not be available in your country or region. Here’s how to make a group call on FaceTime.
FaceTime also allows you to make calls on your iPad through the Messages app. Here’s how to go about it.
- Open the Messages app.
- Start a conversation with the contact you want to call. If you’ve got a conversation already open with the person you wish to call, tap on that thread.
- Click on the contact’s image.
- Tap “Audio” to initiate an audio call or “FaceTime” for a video call.
Another way to make calls on the iPad using FaceTime is to place your iPhone calls on the iPad. That means syncing both devices to enable you to make and receive calls on the iPad as if it were the phone.
However, you must first connect the two devices to the same Wi-Fi network and be signed in using your Apple ID. After that, follow the steps below.
- Open the Settings app on your iPhone.
- Tap on “Phone” or “Cellular“.
- Select “Calls on Other Devices“.
- Turn on “Allows Calls on Other Devices” by flipping the switch to green.
- Under “ALLOW CALLS ON“, flip the switch on “iPad“.
You can now make and receive calls on your iPad as long as you’re signed in with the same Apple ID.
- Open the Settings on your iPad.
- Tap “FaceTime” > “Calls from iPhone“.
Method #3: Call on iPad Using Third-Party Apps
You can also use a third-party application to make and receive calls on your iPad. There are many voice and video messaging apps, but we’ve chosen Skype for this post. Here’s how to call on an iPad using the app.
- Download the Skype app on your iPad if you don’t have it yet.
- Open the app and log in to your account. If you don’t have an account, create one for free. Read more about that here.
- Follow the on-screen prompts until you complete the setup process.
- Tap “Calls” at the bottom of the screen, then select “Start a New Call“.
- Scroll down the screen to choose a contact to call.
- You may also type the person’s name at the top of the screen (the section named “Type a name“).
- You can also dial the number of the person you want to call by tapping on the dial pad.
Making a call on an iPad is as easy as calling on an iPhone. This article discussed three methods: inserting a SIM card, using the FaceTime app, and using a third-party app (Skype). All these methods are reliable and easy for anyone.
We’ve learned that there are many other third-party apps, including Facebook Messenger, Line2, Google Voice, etc. We leave it up to you to choose the method that best works for you. Also, if you decide to go the third-party app way, we hope you choose a suitable app for your needs.