The IP address acts as a virtual address defining your location in cyberspace. It acts as a location identifier. If you want your browsing to remain private, you can change the IP address. You may change your IP address to get through government restrictions.
To change the IP address on your Android phone, you can carry out the following steps.
1. Go to your Settings application on your Android device.
2. Navigate to “Wireless and Networks”.
3. Tap your “Wi-Fi Network”.
4. Head to “Modify Network”.
5. Select “Advanced Options”.
6. Tap the IP address to change the IP address.
This article details how you can access IP address settings on your Android device and how to edit or change private or local IP addresses on your phone.
- Why Does My Android Have an IP Address?
- Why Change the IP Address
- How To Change the IP Address Using a VPN
- How To Change the IP Address Using a Proxy
- Why Do You Need To Change Your IP Address?
- Drawbacks of Changing Your IP Address
- How To Add a Static IP Address on Android
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does My Android Have an IP Address?
The internet acts to send data packets back and forth. You cannot do this without identifying the IP address to which the information has to be sent. Considering your Android is also a device connected to the internet, it requires an IP address to send and receive information.
Changing your IP address while connected to a public Wi-Fi network can be done by connecting to a VPN application or using a proxy server. On the other hand, you can change a private IP address only by accessing the Settings and manually changing the IP address.
Why Change the IP Address
You may want to change your private IP address due to the following issues.
- IP Address Conflict: This occurs when your internet router is unable to assign two different devices unique IP addresses.
- Establishing A Peer To Peer Connection: This is used to assign IP addresses while establishing a connection without a router.
And you can change your IP address on a public network for the following reasons.
- Anonymity: If you don’t want your browsing to be tracked throughout the internet, having a spoofed IP is the only way you can prevent that from happening.
- Region Restriction: If you want to access region-restricted content, having a different IP can imitate a different country or region where the content is available.
How To Change the IP Address Using a VPN
Even though you can switch your IP address by accessing your settings manually, you can also do this by installing a VPN application through the Google Play Store. You can do this through the following steps.
- Download the VPN application.
- Open the application.
- Tap “Connect”.
How To Change the IP Address Using a Proxy
An alternative to a VPN is a proxy server which acts as an intermediary device to hide your IP address. Follow the following steps while connecting a proxy to your Android Phone.
- Go to your Settings application.
- Select Wi-Fi.
- Tap your network’s name.
- Hit “Modify Network” > “Advanced”.
- Select “Manual”.
- Enter your “Proxy Port” and “Hostname”.
- Tap “Save”.
Why Do You Need To Change Your IP Address?
You may want to change your IP address to get past government restrictions, for example, to access banned websites.
In addition, changing your IP address allows greater data protection using 256-bit encryption, ensuring data security. Another hidden benefit is that altering the IP address allows you to create multiple accounts on a single website eradicating account restrictions.
Changing your IP address furthermore allows access to international servers. For example, changing your IP address to the U.S.A may allow you to select from a larger variety of content on a particular site.
Drawbacks of Changing Your IP Address
Even though altering your IP address may prove beneficial, it can pose some deficiencies.
Some websites restrict entry when you try to access them with an altered IP Address; hence, you may bypass government restrictions, but you may not be able to access certain individual websites. In addition, changing your IP Address may be illegal in some countries, such as Iran and China.
Adding encryption can also hinder your browsing speeds which may cause you to experience frustrating lag. Using a VPN to change the IP address on your Android device may also cost money, as some applications charge for this service. In addition to this, VPNs may tend to slow down your connection.
How To Add a Static IP Address on Android
Follow the following steps to set up a static IP address on Android.
- Go to Settings.
- Select “Network and Internet”.
- Go to “Wi-Fi”.
- Tap on the network you are currently connected to.
- Access the “Network Settings”> “Advanced Options”.
- Select “IP Settings”.
- Change the setting from “DHCP” to “Static”.
- Insert the IP address you want to add.
If you feel the need to maintain online privacy and have greater data security while maintaining the ability to get past restrictions to government-blocked websites, altering the IP address on your Android phone is the best solution as it provides you with anonymous internet browsing.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, your Android device must have an IP Address to send and receive information.
Changing your IP Address may or may not be illegal. This depends on your location and where you attempt to change your IP Address.