Having a keyboard on the Apple Watch is a great feature. The keyboard lets you send quick replies and short messages from your wristwatch. But the truth is that the keyboard that comes with the Apple Watch is not the most convenient to type on. So, is there a way to change the keyboard on Apple Watch?
If you want to change the Apple Watch’s keyboard, go to the App Store on your Watch to install a new keyboard. When you do, head to Settings on the Apple Watch to set the new keyboard as your default.
On the older Apple Watch version, you get Scribble which lets you type text with your handwriting. It isn’t the most convenient way to type, which is why on Apple Watch 7 running watchOS 8 or later, you get a QWERTY keyboard.
If you still don’t like the QWERTY keyboard on your Apple Watch or didn’t get the QWERTY keyboard on your Apple Watch, then this article is for you.
Steps To Change Your Keyboard on Apple Watch
Ideally, you will automatically get the QWERTY keyboard if you use the Apple Watch 7 or watchOS 8 or later. If you can’t find it, perhaps rebooting or restarting your Apple Watch will bring the feature. If you use an older Apple Watch model or want to change the keyboard on your Apple Watch, you must use a third-party keyboard.
One thing you should know about using a third-party keyboard is that several keyboards are out there. So, if you want to get the most out of the keyboard you are using, you should look for one that comes with features you use frequently. Two popular keyboards you can use on your Apple Watch that comes with great features are the FlickType and WatchKey keyboards.
Method #1: Using FlickType Keyboard
FlickType keyboard is one of the most popular keyboards on your Apple Watch. Using it is very straightforward and brings a new meaning to typing on the Apple Watch. In addition to typing alphabets, it allows you to type symbols and numbers by tapping the plus (+) sign on the keyboard.
Here’s how to change the keyboard on your Apple Watch to FlickType.
- Go to the App Store on your Apple Watch and download the FlickType keyboard.
- Once you have downloaded and installed it, launch the app and set a theme.
- Enable auto-correction, which helps you correct typos while typing.
- Turn on slide-to-type, giving you a nifty way to type text.
- Add specific words to the keyboard dictionary, particularly ones you use often.
- Choose your favorite contacts for quick message replies.
- Once you are done adjusting all the settings and are satisfied, tap on “Done”.
When finished, you can start using the keyboard on your Apple Watch immediately.
Method #2: Using WatchKey Keyboard
Another popular keyboard you can use on the Apple Watch is the WatchKey. This keyboard is available on all Apple watches and comes with great features. Similarly, this keyboard can type symbols, numbers, and even short text. We love that this keyboard gives you the option of swipe-to-text, as it makes typing a whole lot easier.
Here’s how to change the keyboard on your Apple Watch to WatchKey.
- Go to the App Store on your Apple Watch and download the WatchKey keyboard.
- Launch the app on your iPhone and use it to make adjustments to the settings. There is a link to a helpful tutorial on how to use the keyboard on the “Home” tab.
- Set a theme from the over 60 different fonts available in the app.
- Access FAQs about the keyboard from the gear icon at the top right corner of your screen.
- When you are done making all the changes, close the app to finish any changes that apply to the app.
When you launch either the FlickType or WatchKey keyboard and get a prompt to subscribe to the premium version, you can simply dismiss it by tapping the “X” on the top left corner of your screen, as they both offer a free version.
If typing with the keyboard app on your Apple Watch is not very convenient, you should consider changing the keyboard. You can use several free and paid keyboards on the Apple Watch.
Both keyboards in this guide offer free and premium versions. So, if you would like to unlock more features of the keyboard, feel free to subscribe to the paid version. Both keyboards are easy to use and have many exciting features that change how you type.