Whenever you buy a brand new pair of AirPods, Apple generates a name for them to show up on the paired device. By default, your AirPods name is saved with your owner’s name, but you might not want to keep it.
You can change the name of your AirPods on an iOS, Android, or Windows device by accessing the Bluetooth menu and reconfiguring the name settings.
It’s fun to choose the name of your AirPods so that you can easily distinguish them from other Bluetooth-enabled devices, especially if the Bluetooth device list is heavily populated.
This guide will show you everything you need to rename AirPods on your iPhone, Android, Windows, or Mac device. AirPods Pro and AirPods Max Pro can be renamed using the same steps.
Changing AirPods Name
You don’t have to be a tech junkie to change the name of your AirPods. Our step-by-step guide will help you go through the entire process on an iOS, Android, Windows, or Mac device without any trouble. Here are the methods to change your AirPods name.
Method #1: Changing AirPods Name on iOS
If you have an iOS device, you can change your AirPods name in the following way:
- Open the Settings on your iPhone, iPad, or iPod and tap on the Bluetooth interface.
- Next, tap on the Info icon next to your AirPods.
- Now tap on “AirPods Name” to open the edit option.
- Type in your desired name for your AirPods and tap Done.
- Once you are finished, hit the “Back” arrow to get back to the Bluetooth screen and save changes.
In the Bluetooth interface, you can also change your AirPods’ settings, such as what the right and left AirPods do (e.g., Siri and media control) and automated ear recognition, among other things.
Method #2: Changing AirPods Name on Mac
If you want to change the name of your AirPods on your Mac, follow these steps:
- First, connect your AirPods to your Mac.
- Navigate to the Apple Menu on your Mac and click “System Preferences.“
- Next, select “Bluetooth.”
- Now, right-click on your AirPods, and choose “Rename.”
- Type in your desired name and save changes.
Method #3: Changing AirPods Name on Windows
Due to the differences in operating systems and brand names, AirPods may not offer complete options on Windows devices, resulting in missing features such as Automated Ear Recognition, Siri Control, and customizing double taps.
You can change the name of your AirPods on a Windows PC by using the following method:
- Navigate to Windows Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers.
- Next, right-click on the name of your AirPods and select “Properties.”
- Now go over to the Bluetooth tab, edit the name of your AirPods, and click “Save.”
Method #4: Changing AirPods Name on Android
Follow these steps mentioned below to change your AirPods name on your Android device:
- Tap on the Settings icon on the Home screen and select “Bluetooth.”
- Now scroll down to the Previously Connected Devices section.
- Next, tap on the Settings cogwheel next to the AirPods.
- Select “Edit” at the top and type in a new name for your AirPods.
- That’s about it; your new changes will be saved automatically.
When you try to connect AirPods to other devices, your Apple name will appear by default, so you need to change the name on the device for the new name to show up in the list.
In this guide about changing the name of your AirPods, we’ve discussed one method for iOS, Android, Windows, and Mac devices. At first, this basic but revolutionary feature may have seemed difficult and perplexing – but not any longer. Hopefully, by now, you have successfully changed the name of your AirPods to something more interesting. Keep enjoying them and keep dancing to your favorite tunes.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you can’t rename your AirPods, try resetting them. To do this, keep the lid open while putting the AirPods back into the charging case. For 15+ seconds, press and hold the charging case setup button until the status light flashes orange and turns to white, indicating that the reset process is complete. Then, connect the AirPods to your device and try to rename them. Hopefully, you’ll be able to do this now.
If one of your AirPod is louder than the other on your iPhone, go to your phone Settings, and navigate to “Accessibility.” Next, tap on “Audio/Visual.” Here, you will see a slider; drag it towards the center to restore the audio balance settings. Then, confirm that both AirPods sound precisely the same.