If you are an iOS user, you must be using the Safari browser for doing online searches or visiting any website. By default, Safari uses Google as its search engine. Many other browsers allow users to set the default search engine as their choice. Following the trend, Apple also allows you to change your default search on iPhone, but many of us don’t know how to.
Safari browser offers multiple search engine options to choose from. However, you might not know this if you haven’t explored your iPhone Settings much. You can set your default search engine from these options: Google (Default), Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia. Safari browser doesn’t force you to use a particular search engine.
If you also want to change the search engine on your iPhone, we recommend following this guide until the end. We have explained all the steps in depth to let you easily change the default search engine on your iPhone. Let’s move further and change your Safari’s default search engine to any other search engine.
How To Change the Search Engine in Safari on iPhone
Google comes as a default search engine in Safari browser. However, if you don’t like using Google.com as a search engine, you get the option to change it to your preferred search engine. Switching the search engine in the Safari browser on an iPhone is pretty straightforward. In this section, we have explained the steps to change Safari browser’s default search engine.
Step #1: Open Your iPhone’s Settings App
Apple lets you easily change the search engine of your Safari browser from the Settings app. So, open the Settings app of your iPhone from the Home screen. Once you open Settings, you can head to the next step to continue the process.
Step #2: Change the Search Engine
Apple offers five search engine options: Google (Default), Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo (Safer and Secure), and Ecosia. You can now follow the steps below to change your iPhone’s default search engine.
- Open the Settings app.
- Click on “Safari” to open Safari-related settings.
- In the “Safari” tab, click on “Search Engine” to modify the default search engine.
- Select from the options: Google, Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia.
- Click on the search engine you want to use as Safari’s default search engine.
Step #3: Try the New Search Engine
You have now changed Safari’s default search engine to your favorite one. It’s now time to try the new search engine. So, open the Safari browser. Once you open the Safari browser, you will see your selected search engine as the default search option. You can now enjoy surfing using your new search engine.
Which Search Engine Is the Best for You?
- Google: Google is the default search engine for the Safari browser. It is one of the best search engines and much ahead of any other search engine. You can try using it if you want more accurate and curated search results.
- DuckDuckGo: DuckDuckGo is an ideal option if you are someone who wants more privacy on the internet. It doesn’t store your data and never tracks it. This search engine is getting more popular because of its privacy-centric features. You can try using DuckDuckGo if you want more privacy on the internet while surfing.
- Microsoft Bing: Bing is the second-largest search engine developed by Microsoft. It has many advanced options that don’t come with any other search engine. For instance, Bing lets you choose the country to search for results.
- Yahoo: Yahoo is the third-largest search engine but isn’t as popular as it used to be earlier. In addition, it is powered by Bing now. You can try using Yahoo and see if it fits you best.
Safari is an integrated browser that comes with all Apple Devices. This browser uses Google as its default search engine. Notably, Apple allows you to easily change the search engine on all Apple devices. You can follow the above-mentioned steps to change the search engine on your iPhone in a few steps.
Frequently Asked Questions
According to Apple, Safari is the best search engine for the iPhone. Yet, it also allows you to change the search engine from Settings.
To use Safari instead of Google, open your iPhone’s Settings and head to the “Safari” tab. Click on the “Search Engine” and select the search engine you want to set as default. You can choose between five options: Google, Bing, Yahoo, DuckDuckGo, and Ecosia.
Safari and Google are both great search engines to use on the iPhone. However, Google is much ahead and more advanced than Safari in terms of performance, customization, and ease of use.
Apple allows you to use a different browser on the iPhone. You can change the default browser from your iPhone’s Settings.
Several other browsers are available for iPhone, such as Brave, Google Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, Opera, Microsoft Edge, etc. You can install your favorite browser on your iPhone and use it.