Taking a photo with your iPhone automatically records a timestamp (date and time). While this feature is great for record-keeping, sometimes you may not want it. In such cases, you can edit the timestamp to what you want. But how do you change the timestamp on photos with an iPhone?
There are two ways to change the timestamp on photos with your iPhone. One method includes navigating to the “Details” section of the image to adjust the time and date, while the other involves clicking the share icon to change the date and time. The Photos app on your iPhone is what you’d use for both methods.
Previously, the Photos app on iPhones did not allow users to view EXIF data on photos. But with the iOS 15 update, users can see all EXIF data from the Photos apps. So, if your device is not running on iOS 15, you may not be able to change the timestamp using the iPhone Photos app.
Keep reading to learn more about changing the timestamp on iPhone using the Photos app.
Steps To Change the Timestamp on iPhone Photos
The EXIF data on photos you take on your iPhone is editable. So, if the EXIF data on an image you take is inaccurate, or you would like to change it for one reason or another, you can do so with your iPhone.
Below are two ways you can change the timestamp on your iPhone.
Method #1: Using the Detail Option
When you open an image with the Photos app on your iPhone, you see a little information (i) icon at the bottom of your screen. This icon is the “Details” option, and you can use it to view details about an image.
When you tap the information icon, it displays all the details recorded about the image, such as the time and date, location, and camera settings used to take the picture. From this window on your iPhone, you can edit the timestamp on any photo.
Here’s how to change the timestamp on your iPhone photo using the details option.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Tap the image you want to edit to expand it.
- Tap the information icon at the bottom of your screen.
- Tap “Adjust” beside the timestamp of the image.
- Set the time, time zone, and date.
- Tap the “Adjust” button at the top-right corner of your screen to confirm and save your changes.
This method will only let you edit one image at a time on your Photos app.
Method #2: Using the Share Option
Another way to edit the timestamp on an image is to use the share option when you open a photo with the Photos app. The share option is handy as it gives you so many options. This method is a straightforward way to edit images.
Here’s how to change the timestamp on your iPhone photo using the share option.
- Open the Photos app on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Select” option at the top-right corner of your screen to select the images you want to edit (you can choose more than one image).
- When you have selected the images you want to edit, tap the share icon at the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Swipe up to open more options and scroll down.
- Select “Adjust Date & Time” from the displayed options on your screen.
- Set the new time, time zone, and date.
- Click the “Adjust” button at the top-right corner of your screen to confirm.
You can use this method to edit multiple images at a time, but all photos will have the same timestamp detail.
As you can see from this article, you do not need to install a third-party application on your iPhone to edit the timestamp on a photo. The edited timestamp will display when you share the image with others.
Frequently Asked Questions
You cannot turn off the timestamp feature on an iPhone. Every time you take an image with your iPhone camera, it records the time and date you took the picture. And in some cases, it will even record the location of the image.
You can edit the location on the EXIF data of an image. When you select the image you would like to edit its location, you can tap on the share icon or the details icon to get to the option to adjust the location details.