Apple launched the Magic keyboard in 2020, along with the iPad Pro release, which has made typing much more fun and accessible. But many users find it hard to charge their Magic keyboard.
To charge the Magic keyboard, plug one end of the lightning to USB cable into your Magic keyboard. Plug in the other end of the lightning to USB cable to the USB port of your Mac computer.
We have compiled a comprehensive guide for you on how to charge the Magic keyboard, check its battery level, and fix the issues related to charging.
- Charging the Magic Keyboard
- Checking the Magic Keyboard’s Battery Status
- How To Fix a Magic Keyboard Not Charging
Charging the Magic Keyboard
You can quickly charge your Magic keyboard using the charging cable that comes with it in the following way.
- Plug one end of the lightning to USB cable into your Magic Keyboard.
- Plug in the other end of the lightning to USB cable to the USB port of your Mac computer.
The Magic keyboard will start charging and will show a notification on the screen when it is fully charged.
You can also attach the USB port to a wall-mounted charger or USB slot of a power bank.
Checking the Magic Keyboard’s Battery Status
To find out when to charge your Magic keyboard, it’s crucial to know its current battery status using our 2 step-by-step methods.
Method #1: Using a Mac PC
Here are the steps you need to follow to check the battery on your Magic keyboard using your Mac computer.
- Plug in the Magic keyboard to your Mac.
- Choose the Control Center icon on your Mac’s menu bar.
- Select “Bluetooth” from the drop-down menu.
- Find your Magic keyboard on the list of connected devices.
- Check the percentage next to the Magic keyboard showing its battery levels.
Method #2: Using a Windows PC
With these steps, you can also check the battery on your Magic keyboard using your Windows PC.
- Connect your Magic keyboard to the Windows PC.
- Open Settings.
- Click “Devices”.
- Select “Bluetooth & Other Devices”.
- From the list of connected devices, find your Magic keyboard.
- The percentage next to your keyboard will be its current battery status.
How To Fix a Magic Keyboard Not Charging
If you recently got a Magic keyboard and it fails to charge, our 5 step-by-step methods will help you fix this issue quickly.
Method #1: Rebooting Mac
If you cannot charge your Magic keyboard, a device reboot can solve this problem.
- Select the Apple logo on the top-left corner of your Mac screen.
- From the drop-down menu, select “Restart” and wait for your Mac to reboot.
- Once the Mac starts again, connect a lightning to USB cable to your Magic keyboard and see it charge this time.
Method #2: Changing the Charging Cable
You can also change the charging cable for your Magic keyboard to fix this problem. The lightning to USB cable accompanying most of the Magic keyboards is of low quality, so to revive the charging process, get a new cable, connect the keyboard to your Mac computer and check if the problem persists.
Method #3: Cleaning the Charging Port
A dirty charging port on your Mac or keyboard can also hinder the charging process. Gunk and dust can gather over your device’s ports over time, preventing your keyboard from receiving any charge from the PC.
However, the charging slot on the keyboard is pretty small, so you might find it hard to clean.
Therefore, the best way to do this is to use a toothpick or a cotton swab to clean the ports effortlessly. Once you clean the charging port on your Magic keyboard, ensure to repeat the same process on your Mac USB port to troubleshoot the charging issue.
Method #4: Turning the Keyboard On and Off
You can also fix the Magic keyboard charging issue by turning it off and back on after a few seconds.
- Locate the power switch on your Magic keyboard at the top.
- Flip the power switch, so the green light turns off.
- Wait a few seconds and flip the switch to see the green light turning on again.
- Connect your Magic keyboard to your Mac and see if the charging resume.
Method #5: Unpairing and Pairing the Keyboard
Another thing you can try to fix the Magic keyboard charging issue is to unpair and pair it again with your device.
- Select the Apple logo at the upper-left corner of your Mac screen.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click “Bluetooth”, and a list of all the connected devices will appear before you.
- Find your Magic keyboard from the list.
- Click the cross icon next to the keyboard to unpair it from your Mac device.
- Flip the power switch at the top of the keyboard to turn it off.
Do these steps to pair the Magic keyboard to your Mac computer again.
- Move the power switch on the keyboard to the right to turn it on.
- Connect the Magic keyboard to your Mac device using a lightning-to-USB cable.
- Choose the Apple logo at the top of your Mac screen.
- Choose “System Preferences” and click “Bluetooth”.
- Find your keyboard in the “Devices” list and click “Pair”.
You can now successfully charge your Magic keyboard by connecting it to your computer.
In this guide, we’ve discussed how to charge your Magic keyboard. We have also looked into some methods for checking the battery percentage of the keyboard and fixing its charging issues.
We hope one of these methods has worked for you, and you can now type for long hours with your Magic keyboard after it’s fully charged.