You might need to check the temperature of your surroundings or a room for many reasons. For example, you want to bring in an exotic animal or a particular indoor plant in your office, house, or even RV. You might also want to know when to turn on the AC to maximize the comfort of your room. Whatever your reasons, it’s good to know how to check the temperature with an iPhone.
Your iPhone doesn’t have a built-in thermometer, and there’s no way it can check the temperature on its own. So, you’ve got two options. You can buy an external thermometer, which connects with the phone via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and uses an associated app to check the temperature of a room. Or, you can install a thermometer app to check temperature based on your current location.
We’ve got a detailed explanation of these two methods below. Read on and find out which best suits your needs.
Method #1: Buy an External Thermometer
Your iPhone doesn’t have a built-in thermometer. Instead, the device has a sensor that monitors its internal temperature to protect the battery and processor from overheating.
But sometimes you want to check the ambient temperature of your office or home, for example, to know when to turn on your AC. In that case, the best way to do that with your iPhone is to use an external thermometer, which is used with an associated app to check the current temperature, humidity, etc.
Unfortunately, the external thermometers don’t come free – you’ll have to pay some bucks for them. These devices connect to your iPhone through Bluetooth or Wi-Fi. A good example is Temp Stick Sensor, and this device uses 2 AA batteries and links to your phone using Wi-Fi.
Here’s what to do.
- Purchase the Temp Stick Sensor online or local electronic shop.
- Install the batteries into the sensor.
- Go to the Wi-Fi settings on your iPhone and connect to the Wi-Fi network with the name “Sensor Setup“.
- Open a web browser on your iPhone and search 10.10.1.1.
- Follow on-screen instructions and complete the setup process.
- Wait for the blue light on the Temp Stick sensor to go off to signal that the setup process is complete.
- Go back to the instruction booklet to scan the QR code to download the associated Temp Stick app for free on App Store.
- Open the app and log in using the credentials you’ve just made above.
You can now view the app’s temperature, humidity, and all the necessary details.
You can also purchase an external temperature that connects to your iPhone through Bluetooth if you don’t like Temp Stick Sensor; one such device is SensorPush Thermometer. It’s compact, and you can place it anywhere discreetly. However, the disadvantage of using Bluetooth is that you must be within the range.
Method #2: Install a Thermometer App
Developers created many thermometer apps on the App Store to help you know the temperature outside through your iPhone. The downside of using these apps is that they will not measure indoor temperature but the overall outside temperature based on your current location.
When we were writing this article, Thermometer was one of the best-rated thermometer apps on the App Store. This app uses GPS or Wi-Fi to tell you the outside temperature of your current location. It features an animation showing the prevailing outdoor temperature on a “stylish red LED thermometer“.
Here’s how to use the Thermometer app.
- Download the Thermometer app, and install it on your iPhone. You should see the app icon on the home screen once the installation process is complete.
- Launch the app by tapping its icon. It should display the prevailing temperature of your current location and other details like humidity.
- Choose “Add Location” at the top of the screen to add any location.
- Type your city in the search bar.
- Tap the city’s name once it appears on the search research to check its current temperature.
You must have an active Internet connection for the Thermometer app to retrieve weather data. Additionally, you need to enable the “Location Services” option; follow the path Settings > “Privacy” > “Location Services“.
In our article above on how to check the temperature with an iPhone, we’ve discussed two ways. The most reliable one is to purchase an external thermometer, which connects to your iPhone via Wi-Fi or Bluetooth and works with an associated app to show the temperature of a room. With this device, you can turn your iPhone into a thermometer.
You can also download a thermometer app on your iPhone, which uses GPS or Wi-Fi to retrieve weather data and give you the temperature readings based on your current location. However, the downside of using this method is that it won’t give you accurate temperature readings of a room.
So, purchasing an external thermometer seems to be the better option if you want to know how hot or cold a room is with maximum accuracy.