People just love to eat while working on their Mac, and it can cause a lot of dirt and germs to accumulate on the keyboard, thus creating a hindrance to the smooth functioning of the device. If you are one of them, you must be curious to know how to clean your mac keyboard properly. There are many safe ways in which you can clean your mac keyboard.
Using a soft, lint-free cloth, you can clean your keyboard to wipe away dirt and dust. For more stubborn stains, you can use a small amount of water or rubbing alcohol on the cloth. But, do not spray liquid directly onto the keyboard.
It’s important to keep in mind that there are many ways to clean your keyboard, and some of them may not be safe or effective.
So, I will break out some best and safe methods that you can follow to clean your MacBook.
Why You Should Keep Mac Keyboard Clean
Keeping your Mac keyboard clean is key to keeping your computer running smoothly.
Your keyboard is the most important part of your Mac because it’s the only way you can type in commands and input text. If your keyboard is dirty or dusty, it can cause many problems with your computer.
Dust and dirt can build up on your keys and make them stick together. This can cause your keys to press down at random times when you’re typing, leading to some embarrassing typos! So it’s harder for you to type quickly or accurately.
It is important to keep your mac keyboard clean and dirt free.
How to Clean Mac Keyboard
If you want to avoid the issues mentioned above and keep your Mac healthy for years to come, then follow these methods:
Method #1: Cleaning with Damp Cloth
This is a straightforward method to simply clean the dirt on your Mac. Here are some steps that you can follow to wipe out the dirt with a damp cloth.
- First, turn off your Mac and unplug the charging cable and other wires.
- Now, take a soft and lint-free cloth and slightly damp it with water or alcohol.
- Squeeze out the cloth until there is a little moisture left on the cloth.
- Now you softly wipe out the keys with the cloth but don’t be too hard on the keys.
You can try wiping it out with a cloth one or two more times if you still see some dirt on the keys. But, if you see some dirt under the keys, you will have to follow the next method.
Method #2: Cleaning with Compressed Air
If the method mentioned above didn’t work for you or your mac keyboard has dirt inside the keys, you will have to try cleaning it with compressed air pressure. For this, you will have to get a compressed air duster.
You can follow the steps to clean the dirt under your keyboard’s keys successfully.
- First, hold your MacBook by facing its screen and rotate it in an almost 75-degree direction.
- Now take the Compressed Air Can and keep its nose ½ inches away from the keyboard, and press the button.
- The air will take out all the dirt and tiny particles under the keys, cleaning your keyboard.
- You will have to repeat step 2 on each key and take out all the dirt particles.
- After that, you will have to take a soft cloth and wipe out the keyboard surface.
This will deeply clean your mac keyboard.
Method #3: Cleaning with Vacuum
Another method to deeply clean your mac keyboard is using a vacuum. But, you will have to set your vacuum on the minimum settings because high sucking pressure can damage your keyboard keys. Following are the steps that you can follow.
- Take the vacuum pipe and keep it on the keyboard surface while maintaining a ½ inch safe distance from the keys.
- Now turn on the switch and take the vacuum pipe on each key so it can suck all the dirt.
- If you see any dirt particle stuck under any key, you can take a needle and gently take it out if the vacuum cannot suck it.
- This will clean your whole mac keyboard.
Method #4: Cleaning with Clay Gel
This method is suitable for those people who want to clean their Mac keyboards regularly. In this way, you will be using a cleaning clay gel that will gently wipe out all the dirt on the keyboard.
Here are the steps that you can follow by following this method.
- Take a cleaning clay gel and gently place on anywhere on the mac keyboard.
- Now slide it on all parts of the keyboard.
- All the dirt particles on the keyboard will stick to the gel, making your keyboard neat and clean.
- After cleaning the keyboard, you can wash the gel and use it for few more times.
This is the most useful method for cleaning your mac keyboard regularly.
Do not use a wet Clay Gel on your mac keyboard because the moisture can damage the key’s switch resulting in key failure and other issues in the keyboard. So, always dry the clay gel before using it again to clean the keyboard.
There are different ways to clean your mac keyboard, but the most useful and danger-free way is wiping the dirt with a soft cloth. People use other methods to clean their keyboards, but they can seriously harm the electronics beneath the keys. So, I have brought you some best and safe ways to clean a mac keyboard.