Have you used your AirPods for a long time without cleaning them regularly? Has a lot of dust and debris accumulated in the microphone, and you are facing problems while talking to someone or recording audio? Cleaning the AirPods mic will most likely solve all these issues.
Dampen a Q-tip with rubbing alcohol, flip your AirPods so that the mic faces upwards, and use the Q-tip to clean the mic thoroughly. You can also use an automatic AirPods washer (e.g., Cradle Washer) to clean your AirPods mic.
If you are experiencing difficulty cleaning your AirPods mic, we have taken the time to devise a few methods with detailed step-by-step instructions to ease up your troubles.
- Reasons for Cleaning AirPods Microphone
- Cleaning AirPods Mic
- Tips for Cleaning AirPods Microphone
- Frequently Asked Questions
Reasons for Cleaning AirPods Microphone
Here are a few reasons to clean your AirPods microphone regularly.
- To improve the microphone’s audio recording and speaking quality.
- To avoid health issues caused by accumulated dirt.
- To maximize AirPods lifespan.
Cleaning AirPods Mic
If you are wondering how to clean AirPods mic, these 5 step-by-step methods will help you accomplish your goal without difficulty.
Method #1: Using a Dry Cotton Swab
One of the simplest methods of cleaning AirPods’ microphones is using a dry cotton swab following these steps.
- Flip your AirPods so that the microphone faces upward.
- Using a dry cotton swab or Q-tip, clean the microphone thoroughly.
You can also use a toothpick to remove the dust particles in your AirPods microphone.
Method #2: Using Rubbing Alcohol
Another thing you can do to clean the AirPods mic is using Rubbing Alcohol, as mentioned below.
- Take a small bottle of rubbing alcohol and open its lid.
- Dampen a dry Q-tip or cotton swab with rubbing alcohol.
- Use the dampened Q-tip or cotton swab to clean your AirPods mic thoroughly.
Never use water or any other acidic solution for cleaning your AirPods’ mic, as this can damage the microphone.
Method #3: Using Automatic AirPods Washer
Follow the steps below to use an automatic AirPods Washer for cleaning your AirPods mic.
Step #1: Turning On the Washer
Spray the cleaning solution with the Cardlax Washer on the sponge and brush. Connect one end of the type-C cable with the Washer and the other with a power source. Press the power button present on Cradle for at least 3 seconds to turn it on.
Step #2: Cleaning the AirPods
Press the power button once again for the Washer to start working. Rub the earbuds around the sponge closely, especially the microphone part, so it absorbs all the dust particles. Insert your AirPods vertically into the sponge space and close the Washer’s lid.
The microphone of your AirPods will be all clean and shiny now, and you will notice a clear audio quality improvement.
Method #4: Blowing Through the Microphone
You can also blow through your AirPods microphone, as mentioned below, to get rid of any trapped dust or dirt particles.
- Flip your earpiece upside down such that its mic faces upward.
- Blow forcefully through the microphone with your mouth to clean the dust particles.
Method #5: Using a Cleaning Brush
Here is how you can use a cleaning brush to eliminate accumulated dust particles on your AirPods microphone.
- Take a cleaning brush and dampen the smaller side with 70% isopropyl alcohol solution.
- Use the dampened brush to clean your AirPods mic.
- Let the mic air dry, or use a lint-free cloth for quick drying.
Tips for Cleaning AirPods Microphone
AirPods are pretty delicate and need cautious handling. Here are some tips you can follow to make this process hassle-free for you.
- Avoid using metallic objects to clean the microphone as this can damage the earpiece.
- Never use any liquid other than rubbing alcohol during cleaning (waterproof AirPods are exempted).
- Don’t use chemical cleaners, rough materials, or soaps to clean the AirPods mic.
- Be careful not to damage any part of the earpiece during cleaning.
In this guide on cleaning AirPods mic, we have discussed some reasons for clearing dust and debris from the mic.
We have also looked into multiple methods for getting rid of trapped dust or dirt particles from your AirPods mic and some tips to follow before cleaning.
Hopefully, one of these methods has worked for you, and you can now successfully clean your AirPods mic and enjoy the improvement in the audio recording and speaking quality.
Frequently Asked Questions
The main reason for a muffled mic on AirPods is the accumulation of dirt or earwax. If you fail to clean your earpiece carefully, dirt will get stuck inside the mic, leading to audio problems.
If you own a second-generation AirPods device or later and the Siri function is set up on the device, you can say “Hey Siri” and ask Siri to adjust your mic’s volume. Similarly, on the AirPods Pro, you can first activate Siri and ask it to change your volume.