Do you want to clear the Downloads folder on your Android to create storage space or remove unwanted files? If you’re like most people, your Downloads are probably cluttered with all sorts of files you no longer need. Fortunately, there is a way to remove them from your device.
If you want to clear downloads on your Android device, open the “My Files” app, go to “Internal Storage,” and open the “Downloads” folder. Select single/multiple file(s) and tap “Delete.” Tap the “Move to Bin/Trash” option. Alternatively, you can use the Files by Google app or delete downloaded files in Google Chrome.
We have written a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to clear downloads on Android with easy instructions.
Clearing Downloads on Android
If you don’t know how to clear downloads on Android, our three step-by-step methods will help you easily complete this task.
Method #1: Using the Files App
Follow the steps below to clear download files using the Files app on your Android device.
- Launch the “Files/My Files” app on your Android device.
- Head to the “Internal Storage” section.
- Tap “Downloads.”
- Tap and hold a file, and multiple-selection features will be enabled automatically.
- Select the files and tap “Delete.”
- Tap “Move to Trash/Bin” or “OK” to confirm the action.
To delete all downloaded files, tap the circle/box above the “All” option and tap “Delete.” However, some Android devices do not offer the Recycle Bin or Trash option. Therefore, be careful while clearing the downloads, as you might not be able to recover them.
Method #2: Using Files by Google
The Files by Google app helps manage your downloaded files and keep them organized on your Android device. It allows you to view your files by type, date, or size, and you can search specifically as well.
The app also includes a trash bin to delete downloaded files you no longer need quickly.
- Install the Files by Google app from the Google Play Store.
- Open the app; tap and hold a file in the Downloads folder to enable the multiple-select feature.
- Select the files you want to delete and tap the delete icon.
- Tap “Move File to Bin/Trash” to confirm your action.
If you want to delete all files, tap the three dots in the top right corner of the screen, tap “Select All,” and tap the delete icon.
Method #3: Using Google Chrome App
If you have downloaded files from Google Chrome, you can clear them in the following way:
- Launch the Google Chrome app on your device.
- Tap the three vertical dots in the top-right.
- Tap “Downloads” from the drop-down menu.
- Tap and hold a file and select multiple files.
- Tap the delete icon to clear your downloaded files.
Deleting a File That Won’t Delete on Android
If you cannot delete downloads on your Android device, you can try one of the following troubleshooting steps.
- Connect your Android device to the computer, access your device’s “Downloads” folder, and delete the files.
- Press the power button on your Android device, tap “Restart,” and retry deleting the files when the device turns on.
- Install and launch a third-party Files Manager app, access the Downloads folder, and delete the files.
How To Access Trash/Recycle Bin on Android
If you have deleted some important files while clearing downloads on your Android, you can restore them in the following way:
- Open your device’s “My Files/Files” app.
- Tap the three dots menu icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Tap “Recycle Bin/Trash” and select the file(s).
- Tap “Restore” to recover the file back to your Android device.
If you have deleted downloaded files using Files by Google, follow these steps to recover them:
- Launch the Files by Google app and tap the three-line icon.
- Select “Trash/Bin” and select the file(s).
- Tap “Restore” and tap “Restore # File.”
- You can now find the file in the previously saved folder.
In this article, we’ve discussed how to clear downloads on Android with several methods. We also discussed what to do if you cannot delete downloaded files and how to recover them if needed.
Hopefully, with the information provided above, you can clear downloaded files on Android in no time.
Frequently Asked Questions
To get rid of the hidden files on your Android device, launch the My Files app and tap the three lines menu icon. Tap the “Settings” option and tap “Show Hidden System Files.” Head to the hidden files folder, select them, and tap “Delete.” Confirm the action when prompted.
You can delete the PDFs and half-downloaded files in the same manner as you delete other downloads on your Android device.