A Canon printer is undoubtedly a great option, especially for photo printing. And if you just got one, but are unsure how to set it up, don’t worry. It’s a 2-step process that will hardly take time.
You can connect your Canon printer to a computer through Wi-Fi, USB, or a wired network connection. Then you’ll need to install the driver for the printer, and you’ll be all set up!
Here’s a step-by-step guide on how to connect your Canon printer to a computer. Let’s dive right in!
Connecting a Canon Printer to a Computer
There are two easy steps to connect your printer to a computer. Note that some settings might vary depending on the printer model you have. Here we go!
Step #1: Connect the Two Devices
You can connect your printer to your computer in three ways. Let’s check them in detail.
Using a USB Cable
A USB connection is an ideal option if you plan on printing using only your computer. This method directly connects your computer and is completely hassle-free. Just take a USB cable and plug one end into your computer’s USB port and the other into the printer’s USB port.
Next, plug in the printer and switch it on. After that, you need to install the driver to be able to use it, which we’ll get to in just a bit.
If you have a wireless printer, you can connect it to your computer using Wi-Fi. We like this method the most because you can use your Canon printer to print incoming documents or pictures from any device that’s on the same Wi-Fi, including cellphones!
Here’s what you need to do for this method:
- Switch on the printer.
- On the control panel of your printer, go to “Menu” > “Network Settings” and then “Wireless LAN.“
- Press “OK.” Choose your Wi-Fi and put in the password. Make sure both your computer and printer are on the same network.
- That’s it! You’ll need to install the driver now.
The steps to connect to Wi-Fi can differ from model to model. Make sure you go through your printer’s manual to know how to connect it to the internet wirelessly.
Using a wired network
The upside of using a wired connection is that multiple devices on the same wired network can use the printer, but you’ll have to use an Ethernet cable for it.
To connect your printer via a wired network (through your router), here’s what you need to do:
- Take an Ethernet cable and connect one end to your router and the other one to your printer.
- Switch on the printer.
- On the control panel, go to “Menu” > “Network Settings,” and then “Wired LAN.” Again, remember that this can differ from model to model, so refer to the user manual first.
- Now you’ll only need to install the driver on your computer.
Step #2: Install the Printer Driver
To make sure the two devices can communicate, you need to install (and update) a driver for the printer.
If your computer can detect the printer, you’ll be able to see some on-screen instructions for installing the driver.
If you don’t, you’ll have to install it manually. For this, there are two ways – you can use the installation disk that comes with the printer, or you can find the driver on Canon’s official support site.
For the latter, here’s a quick rundown of what you need to do:
- Go to https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/support.
- Search for your model.
- Navigate to the “Drivers & Downloads” section. Select your OS, and click “Next“ on the driver you want to install.
- Click on “Download.”
- Once it’s done, open the file and follow the setup wizard. Choose the suitable method you used to connect your printer and click on “Next.”
- Once you make your way through all the steps, you’ll be able to use your printer.
Now you know how to connect your Canon printer to your computer, and you can do it via USB, Wi-Fi, or wired connection. Each of these methods is suitable for a different purpose, so make sure you choose the right option!
Don’t forget to share this article and write a comment below! We would like to hear your thoughts on this topic :)