If you want to share a document with someone, but it is in Word document format, you may have to consider converting it to PDF first. Unlike Word documents, PDF files are more universally supported on several devices. So, how do you convert a Word document to PDF on an iPhone?
Though there are several ways to convert Word to PDF on iPhone, the easiest method is to use the preinstalled Files app. Another way to convert Word to PDF on iPhone is to download and use third-party apps like Google Docs or PDF expert.
There are numerous reasons why you may want to convert a Word document to PDF. For example, PDF files are great at preserving format, styling, and looks.
So, if you want to convert a Word document to PDF, here are some easy, safe, and free ways to do it.
Two Ways To Convert Word to PDF on iPhone
You may have noticed that when registering for something on a website, you might only be allowed to upload PDF files. If you tried uploading a Word document, it would show an error. So, if, for this reason, or any particular reason, you want to convert a Word document to a PDF file, you can do it on your iPhone, without a laptop. This guide will explain two ways to easily convert Word documents to PDF on an iPhone.
Method #1: Using the Files App
Your iPhone’s Files app is a preinstalled app with many features many people don’t even know exist. While you can use the Files app to find and edit your files on your iPhone, you can use it for many other things, including converting Word documents to PDF files.
You can even use the Files app to access several cloud services such as Dropbox, iCloud, OneDrive, Google Drive, and so on. So, if perhaps the file you want to convert is on a cloud, you can still use the Files app to convert it to PDF files.
Here’s how to use the Files app to convert Word documents to PDF on iPhone.
- Open the Files app by swiping down your home screen, then search for the app in the dialog box.
- Locate the Word document you want to convert and open it with the Files app.
- Tap the share button at the bottom-left corner of your screen.
- Click “Print” from the pop-up options that appear on your screen.
- Select all the pages you want to convert, then zoom out the preview of the first page.
- Tap the share button at the top-right corner of your screen, which converts it to a PDF file.
- Select “Save to Files” from the pop-up options.
- Select the location you want to save the file, be it iCloud or on your iPhone.
- Tap the “Save” button, and the PDF file will be saved in your selected location.
Note that password-protected directories and ZIP folders are not supported on the Files app.
Method #2: Using a Third-Party App
You can also use a third-party app to convert Word documents to PDF on an iPhone without a laptop. While you can download several third-party apps, we recommend using Google Docs. Google Docs from Google is a safe and valuable tool you can use for drafting and collaborating on documents.
With the Google Docs mobile app, you get as much of the same functionality as you would if you were using the desktop version. In addition, Google Docs mobile is free to use and convenient. However, locating the save to PDF file can be a bit of a struggle.
Here’s how to use a third-party app (Google Docs) to convert Word documents to PDF on iPhone.
- Download the Google Docs app on your iPhone if you do not already have it.
- Open Google Docs and register with a Gmail account; if you don’t have one, you can easily create one in minutes.
- Click the file icon at the top-right corner of your screen and locate and open the document you want to convert.
- Tap the three dots icon at the top-right corner of your screen and select the “Share & Export” button.
- Tap “Send a Copy“, select PDF, and click “OK“.
- Click “Save to Files” from the pop-up options and select the location you want to save it, and the PDF file will be available in the recent folder in the Files app.
You can also use the “Print” option in the Google Docs mobile app to save a document in a PDF file.
Now that you know how to convert Word documents to PDF on your iPhone, you no longer need to be glued to your laptop for every task. Your iPhone is quite a powerful smart device that can perform several tasks. You only have to know where the right options are, and you are good to go!