Cropping images is a pretty straightforward task, as even the default Photos app in Windows lets you do it. But what about videos? This is where things get a little complicated. But don’t worry, the process of cropping videos isn’t difficult as well.
You can use DaVinci Resolve to crop a video on a PC. To do this, you must go to the “Edit” page and open the “Inspector” tab. From here, you can click “Cropping” and adjust the video however you like.
To help you out, we will discuss how to crop a video on a PC.
How To Crop Video on PC
There are plenty of video editing software out there that you can use to edit your videos however you like. While some of them are paid, most of them are free. Today, we will discuss how you can crop a video on a PC using some of the world’s most popular video editing software.
Windows Video Editor
Windows 10 and 11 come with a video editor that is free to use. While it’s not meant for professional video editing, it can help you do basic editing. In addition, the Windows Video Editor can also serve as a tool to help you crop a video. You can do this by following the steps mentioned below.
- Open the Windows Video Editor by typing “Video Editor” in the search bar and clicking the first icon that appears.
- Click “New Video Project” to import the video you want to crop. Then, drag and drop the video into the project.
- If you want to crop the video to a specific aspect ratio, drag it to the “Storyboard” section and click the three vertical dots in the top-right corner. This will let you crop the video into a specific aspect ratio.
Adobe Premiere Pro
Adobe Premiere Pro is one of PC’s most popular video editing software. Many regard it as the best one available for the platform. While it is a paid software, you can opt for its 7-day trial if you’re looking for something that can help you crop a video for a single time.
After you have downloaded Adobe Premiere Pro, you can crop a video by following these steps.
- Launch the Adobe Premiere Pro application.
- Start a new project.
- Add the video you want to crop to your timeline.
- Go to the “Effects” page from the left side and look for “Video Effects”.
- In the search bar, type “Crop”.
- Drag the crop effect to your video.
- Go to the “Effects Control Panel” on the left side. Click the “Crop” option and expand it. From here, you can crop your video as per your requirements.
Using DaVinci Resolve
DaVinci Resolve is yet another fantastic video editing software, and you can also use it to crop a video on a PC. There are two versions of the software, Basic and Studio. The Basic version is free, and it offers many features. On the other hand, the Studio version is paid, but it’s meant for those who do professional video editing full-time.
To crop a video in DaVinci Resolve, follow the steps mentioned below.
- Open DaVinci Resolve and start a new project.
- Go to the “Edit” page and click the video or clip you want to crop.
- From the top-right corner, click “Inspector”.
- Click “Cropping”. Here, you will get plenty of options to crop your video however you like.
The fourth and final video editing software we will suggest for cropping videos is Filmora. The process is pretty simple for this one, too, as it can be done by following these steps.
- Open Filmora and import your video to it.
- Click the video or clip on your timeline that you want to crop.
- Right-click the clip and click “Crop and Zoom”. You can also click directly on the crop icon. Afterward, you will be able to crop your video by adjusting the rectangle surrounding your video.
This was how to crop a video on a PC. As you can see, the process is pretty simple and quick. It is only complicated for those who don’t know where to go in a video editing software. While the default Video Editor app of windows can let you crop a video, it will be better to use better software to get more control over how your video is cropped. If you want to crop a single video, we suggest you get the trial version of Premiere Pro for this job.