Android device is equipped with multiple useful features. The cut/copy and paste feature is also incredible, allowing you to share the text and files easily. However, many users don’t know how cut-and-paste works on their Android devices.
To cut and paste text in Android, tap and hold the text. Drag the handles to the sides, select the entire text you want to copy, and tap “Copy” from the menu. Tap and hold the text field on an app and tap “Paste” from the pop-up menu.
We have compiled a comprehensive guide on how to cut and paste in Android using simple step-by-step methods to make the whole process easy for you.
Cutting and Pasting Text in Android
If you are wondering how to cut and paste text in Android, our 3 step-by-step methods will help you solve this task without wasting your time.
Method #1: Cutting and Pasting General Text
Follow these steps to copy and paste a text from a web page, chat, or another source on your Android device.
- Tap and hold the text you wish to copy. You will see handles appearing to its side, highlighting the text.
- Drag the handles to select the entire text you want to copy.
- Tap “Copy” from the menu that appears above the highlighted words.
- Open an app where you want the copied text.
- Tap and hold the text field on the app and tap “Paste” from the pop-up menu.
Your text is now successfully pasted into the app text field for sharing with your contacts.
You can also tap the “Cut” option from the pop-up menu to remove the unnecessary bits.
Method #2: Cutting and Pasting Website Links
Using the steps below, you can quickly cut and paste a website link on your Android device.
- Launch Chrome on your Android device and visit a web page.
- Long-press the website address on the address bar.
- Tap “Cut” from the menu that appears above the highlighted link.
- Navigate to where you want to paste the link.
- Tap and hold the text field and tap “Paste” from the menu appearing on the screen.
Method #3: Using Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides Apps
If you want to cut text from your Google Docs, Sheets, and Slides and paste it to another app on your Android device, you can easily do this with these steps.
- Open a file in Google Docs, Slides, or Sheets app on your Android phone.
- In the document, tap and hold the text you want to cut.
- Tap “Cut” from the menu appearing on the screen.
- Navigate to the app where you want to paste the text.
- Tap and hold the text field on the app and tap “Paste”.
The text from your Google Docs, Sheets, or Slides app is successfully pasted now.
Cutting and Pasting Files in Android
The cut/copy and paste feature on your Android phone is not just limited to texts. You can copy files and conveniently paste them to some other location.
Method #1: Using the File Manager
On your Android device, you can easily copy files and paste them to another location with these steps.
- Tap “File Manager” on your phone.
- Go to “Documents” and long-press the file you want to copy. You can select more than one file by tapping on them.
- Once all the files are selected, tap “More” at the bottom and “Copy”.
- Select the location where you want to paste the file.
- Tap “Paste”, and the file will be successfully moved to your desired location.
You cannot cut a file on an Android device; the only option you get is to copy and paste it to another location.
Method #2: Using External Storage
The copy-and-paste feature on your Android device allows you to transfer files quickly to external storage like USB.
Here are the steps you can follow for this process on your device.
- Connect a USB (flash drive) to your Android phone.
- Swipe down from the top of the screen to reach the Notification Panel.
- Tap the notification saying “USB Connected” and tap “Transfer Files” from the pop-up menu.
- Tap “File Manager”.
- Tap the file you want to transfer and tap “Copy” at the bottom.
- When asked to select a location, choose your flash drive and tap “Paste”.
Once your file is successfully pasted to the USB flash drive, you can safely remove it from your Android device.
In this guide on how to cut and paste in Android, we have looked into multiple methods you can use to cut/copy and paste text and files on your device to another location.
We hope that one of these methods has worked for you and you can now share content with others on your Android device quickly.