You might fail to notice how vital keyboard history is to the overall function of your phone because it feels like just another regular feature. However, keyboard history is essential to making predictions based on your typed words, so you don’t have to type full words every time you type on your phone.
Even though a keyboard saves your typing history for your convenience, it is still essential to delete it regularly. Deleting keyboard history on an iPhone or Android only takes a few simple steps.
To delete keyboard history on iPhone. Go to Settings, then tap on the General tab. Next, click on Transfer or Reset iPhone, depending on your iPhone model. A Rest option will appear. Click on it and then scroll down to Reset Keyboard Dictionary. Enter your passcode and finally tap on Reset Dictionary.
If you are using an Android phone, go to Settings and select the Language and Input tab. Next, tap on your default keyboard app, and reset Settings > Clear Personalized Data.
To learn more about deleting history on various types of a keyboard on Android and iPhone, read this article to the end.
Overview of Deleting Keyboard History
Your device keyboard knows more about your typed words than you may realize. It saves your data to make more accurate predictions the next time you type. This function is convenient as it saves you valuable typing time. But, on a more advanced level, not deleting your keyboard history regularly can put your data at risk.
The risk of a data breach is not imminent unless a third party acquires your phone, but it’s still best to be on the safe side. Besides preventing third parties from accessing your private information, deleting keyboard history also frees vital storage space.
Technically, phones function better when they have enough storage space to store new data. You can free up storage by deleting your keyboard history.
Next, we delve into the exact steps to delete keyboard history on an Android and iPhone.
Deleting Keyboard History
Use the steps below to delete keyboard history on Android and iPhone:
Method #1: Android
Android users have various keyboard options, from the default Android keyboard to SwiftKey and Gboard keyboards.
If you use the default Android keyboard, use the steps below to delete history:
- Unlock your phone and go to “Settings”.
- Enter “Language and Input” on the settings search bar and click “Enter”.
- Tap on the “Language and Input” tab on the search results, then click on the “Default keyboard” option.
- Next, tap on the “Reset Settings” option.
- On the next page, tap on “Clear Personalized Data”.
If you’re one of the Android users who feel like the default keyboard is plain and without enough features, you likely use the SwiftKey keyboard. In this case, use the steps below to delete keyboard history:
- Unlock your phone and click on “Settings”.
- Enter “Language and Input” on the settings search bar, and then click “Enter”.
- Tap on the “Language and Input” tab on the search results.
- After, tap on the “SwiftKey Keyboard” option.
- On this window, tap on the three vertical dots at the top-right corner of your screen.
- Click on the “Clear Typing Data” option.
- Finally, click on “Continue” to delete your SwiftKey keyboard history.
Some Android users prefer using the Gboard (Google Keyboard) to the SwiftKey or default keyboard. Here’s how to delete keyboard history from Gboard:
- Unlock your phone, then go to “Settings”.
- Search “Language and Input” on the settings menu search bar.
- Next, tap on the “Language and Input” tab in the search results.
- Next, click on the “Gboard” option.
- On the next page, tap on the “Dictionary” option.
- Next, tap on “Delete learned words” to delete keyboard history from Gboard.
Method #2: iPhone
Follow the steps below to delete keyboard history on your iPhone:
- Launch the “Settings” app on your iPhone.
- Under settings, go to the “General” tab and tap on it.
- Next, click on “Transfer or Reset iPhone”.
- Tap on the “Reset” option.
- Next, click on “Reset Keyboard Dictionary”.
- Wait a few seconds for a passcode prompt. Enter the code.
- Finally, tap on “Reset Dictionary” to delete keyboard history on your iPhone.
Viewing Keyboard History
There is no way to view your keyboard history on Android or iPhone. Android devices can show you some predictions and suggestions, but there’s no way to access your typing history.
If you are receiving wrong predictions or auto-correct texts, the only solution is to delete keyboard history or disable auto-correction.
To disable auto-correction on iPhone, follow the procedure below:
- Go to “Settings”, then tap on the “General” tab.
- Select the “Keyboard” option.
- Slide the toggle next to Auto-correction to read “Off”.
To disable auto-correction on Android, follow the steps below:
- Go to “Settings”, tap on the “Language and Inputs” tab
- Click on “Keyboard and Inputs Method”.
- Click on “Android Keyboard” > “Text correction”.
- Slide the toggle next to “Next-word suggestions” to “Off”.
As outlined in this article deleting keyboard history only takes a few simple steps. To delete keyboard history on an iPhone go to “Settings” > “General” > “Transfer or Reset iPhone” > “Reset”. After entering your passcode, click on “Reset Dictionary” to delete keyboard history.
The steps to deleting keyboard history on Android are similar to those on iPhone. Go to “Settings” > “Language and Input” > “Default Keyboard” > “Reset Settings” > “Clear Personalized Data”.