Time-lapse is a photographic technique that manipulates how the frame rate (i.e., the number of images in a second) is captured. Apple introduced this feature in 2014, but many users still struggle to do a time-lapse on iPhone.
To do a time-lapse on iPhone, launch the Camera app, scroll through the options above the shutter button, and tap “TIME-LAPSE”. Once you are ready to record, tap the red record button. Tap the red button again to stop the recording once you are done.
We have put together a detailed guide for you on how to do a time-lapse on iPhone. We will also discuss changing a regular video to time-lapse and editing a time-lapsed video on your iOS device using simple steps.
- Creating a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
- Converting a Normal Video to a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
- Editing a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
- Frequently Asked Questions
Creating a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
With these steps, you can easily do a time-lapse on your iPhone using the Camera app.
- Open the Camera app.
- Scroll through the options above the shutter button, find “TIME-LAPSE”, and tap it.
- Once you have decided on a subject and are ready to record, tap the red record button.
- Tap the red button again to stop the recording once you are done.
Your recorded time-lapse video will successfully save to your iPhone’s photo library in the “Recents” tab.
Converting a Normal Video to a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
If you’ve accidentally made a normal video while trying to do a time-lapse on your iPhone, you can convert it into a time-lapse using the iMovie app with these steps.
- Install and launch the iMovie app on your iPhone.
- Tap “+ Create Project” and select “Movie”.
- Select the video you want to time-lapse and tap “Create Movie”.
- In the timeline, tap the video, select the clock icon at the bottom, and drag the slider to the right.
- Tap “Done”, choose the share icon, and tap “Save”.
Wait for your time-lapsed video to export and find it in the Photos app on your iPhone.
Editing a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
Now that you know how to do time-lapse on your iPhone, you are ready to move to the next step: editing.
Use our following 3 step-by-step methods for making changes to a time-lapse on your iOS device.
Method #1: Changing the Speed of a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
If you want to change the speed of a time-lapse on your iPhone, you can perform this task using the Lapse It app on your device with these steps.
- Install and launch the Lapse It app on your iPhone.
- Tap “Import” on the top and allow the app to access your photos/videos.
- Select the videos or images that you want to edit. You can select more than one photo or video for editing, and all of them will be added to the Lapse It app.
- Use the minute and the second indicator under “Sequence Duration” to set the time frame for your video.
- Once you are finished changing the speed of your time-lapse video, tap the “Export” option to save the edited video to Photos.
New frames will be added if you set the time frame longer than the original video. On the other hand, if you set it shorter, the number of frames will reduce.
You have successfully changed the speed of a time-lapse on your iPhone.
Method #2: Trimming a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
Here are the steps you need to follow to trim a time-lapse on your iPhone.
- Open the Photos app.
- Select the time-lapse you wish to trim and tap “Edit”.
- Tap any arrows on either side of the timeline at the bottom until you see a yellow box appearing to its sides.
Slide the arrows on either side of the timeline and trim the video as you like.
- Once the video is trimmed, tap “Done”.
- Tap “Save Video”.
You have successfully trimmed a time-lapse on your iPhone.
You can also crop your time-lapse by using the crop icon at the bottom and dragging the white outline appearing on the screen to adjust its size and orientation.
Method #3: Adding Filters to a Time-Lapse on an iPhone
With these steps, you can add a filter to a time-lapse on your iPhone using the Photos app.
- Open Photos.
- Select the time-lapse video you wish to add a filter to.
- Tap “Edit”.
- Select the filter icon at the bottom.
- Select one of the nine available filters using the slider.
- Once you have chosen a filter you like, tap “Done”.
You have successfully added a filter to a time-lapse on your iPhone.
When you choose a filter for your time-lapse, it will be applied to the entire video without any exceptions.
In this guide, we have discussed how to do time-lapse on iPhone. We have also looked into converting a regular video to time-lapse and editing it (i.e., changing speed, trimming, cropping the video, and adding a filter to it on your iPhone).
We hope one of these methods has worked for you, and you can now do time-lapses and customize them quickly.
Frequently Asked Questions
A time-lapse video on your iPhone running at 30fps with a duration of 30 seconds, with a shooting interval of 8 sec, will result in 2 hours of event duration.