As we all know, you cannot directly download videos from Instagram on your iPhone. However, there are many ways to work around this. You can easily download Instagram videos through external websites or third-party apps. Other methods can be used as well.
Ways To Download Instagram Videos on iPhone
There are four ways you can save videos from Instagram onto your phone. These also apply to Instagram video feeds, reels, or even IGTV. So, let’s check them out!
Method #1: Using Third-Party Apps
You can use any third-party apps from the Apple store to download Instagram videos. Reposter is one such app that is trending these days. You can even repost videos using this app.
- Download the ‘Reposter’ app on the Apple app store.
- On Instagram, find the video you want to download.
- Click on the three dots and tap on ‘Copy Link.’
- Now open the Reposter app, and into the box, just paste the link you copied.
- Click on ‘Preview’ to see the preview of the video.
- Next, tap the blue circle below the preview to expand the menu.
- On the menu, click on ‘More.’
- In the bottom row, click on the first icon, ‘Save Video’ in the bottom row. The video gets saved in the iPhone’s Camera Roll.
While third-party apps are good, sometimes they can bring you plenty of advertisements. This can prevent you from downloading videos and heating your phone. The following three methods don’t have such issues.
If you are using Reposter App for the first time, tap ‘OK’ when the app prompts you to save media to your library.
Method #2: Using an External Downloading Website
Many excellent, free websites will let you download Instagram videos. Instadownloader and SaveInsta are two such websites that let you download all video formats from Instagram.
- In Instagram, scroll to the video you want to download and click on the three dots.
- Tap on ‘Copy Link’ to copy the video link.
- Next, on the SaveInsta website, go to Instagram Video Downloader.
- Here, in the box, paste the video link and click on ‘View’ to view the video preview.
- On clicking the download tab, Safari asks if you wish to download the video. Tap on ‘Confirm.’
- The video gets saved in Safari downloads. Go to the downloads to see the video.
- If you want to save the video in Camera Roll, click on ‘Save Video.’
External downloading websites may also have viruses. They also open up a lot of unwanted ads by clicking the download button. To avoid all these, you can try the following two methods.
Method #3: Using the Screen Recording Feature
iPhone has a cool, in-built screen recording feature that lets you save Instagram videos on your phone. You can use this feature to record live videos. Live videos are usually not saved by influencers on their stories. Alternatively, you can also use a third-party screen recorder app.
- In Settings App, click on the ‘Control Center’ option.
- Next, go to ‘Customize’ and add the ‘Screen Recording.’
- Bring up the tool menu and tap on the screen recording app. Your screen begins recording after 3 seconds.
- Now, go to Instagram and find the video you want to save.
- Play the video while the app records it.
- Once the video finishes playing, click on the red dot to save the recorded video to Camera Roll.
This is probably one of the simplest methods among all four. But since the screen records even the extra bits of opening the Instagram app and finding the video, you may have to scrap the additional bits. Additional editing will be needed before the final video is saved. Doing this for every video you save can be tiresome.
Method #4: Using Shortcuts App
iPhones with iOS 12 and above have a Shorts app. This allows you to save Instagram videos directly on your iPhone. If you do not have it, you can download it from the Apple store.
- Open the Shortcuts app and set it up by following the prompts on the screen.
- Open Instagram and find the video you want to save.
- On the video, click the three dots and tap on ‘Share To’.
- On the screen that pops up, scroll down the list of sharing options.
- Click on the ‘Instagram Download’ shortcut.
- It will direct you to the Shortcuts app, where your video will get saved.
For those using the Shortcuts app for the first time, make sure to grant it access to allow everything. It will have access to the photo and web library then.
You can even save a shortcut titled ‘Download Instagram Videos’ on your iPhone using the Shortcuts app. Whenever you want to save a new video, you simply have to use this shortcut the next time.
Since Instagram does not allow direct download of its video, people have found brilliant workarounds for it. You can either use the screen recording feature or a third-party app to download them. Additionally, you can also try some external downloading websites or iPhone’s Shortcuts app to directly save the video on your phone from Instagram. You can follow the above steps in each method to save all videos formats of Instagram, including live streams.
Frequently Asked Questions
You can save Instagram videos by using the screen recording tool or Shortcuts app in-built in your iPhone. Alternatively, you can even copy-paste the video link on any external downloading website and download it using Safari.
Yes, all the methods outlined in the above methods to download Instagram videos are free. Everything from using external websites, in-built tools, and apps to third-party free apps.