AirPods are pretty easy to lose, which isn’t surprising given their small size. It’s easy to forget that you didn’t keep them back in the case, too.
For instance, someone at the café wanted to talk to you, and you took out your AirPods and kept them on the table. You got caught up in talking to them and forgot to put the AirPods back in the case. You came home only to find out that you don’t know where your AirPods are.
So if you’ve lost your AirPods, don’t worry. In this article, we mention all the methods of finding your AirPods.
Overview of Finding Your AirPods
In the latest firmware update for AirPods Max, AirPods Pro, and some Beats headphones, Apple has made it easier to find AirPods using the Find My app. You just need to make sure that the feature is enabled.
If your Find My wasn’t enabled before you lost your AirPods, then you won’t be able to locate them using the app.
Here are the different ways you can find your AirPods.
Method #1: Using Your iPhone
To find your lost AirPods using your iPhone, here’s what you need to do:
- Launch the Find My app.
- At the bottom of the screen, you will see Devices. Tap on that.
- You will now see a list of Apple devices. Select your AirPods from this list.
- Take a look at the map to see where they were last connected. You’ll also see the closest street address below your AirPods.
- If your AirPods are near you, tap on Play Sound. They will start beeping, making them easier to find.
- If they are far from you, tap on Directions and follow the map to see where they were last connected.
- When you get close enough, tap on Find to know whether you’re going in the right direction and are close enough to hear them beep or if you’re walking away from them.
The Find feature tries to connect your iPhone to the AirPods. We recommend uncovering your camera and walking around until the two connect. You will then be able to see a basic description of how far you are from your AirPods. You just need to keep moving until your iPhone screen says Here. However, note that this feature only works on the updated 4A400 firmware version.
Some things to note with this method:
- If your AirPods died or lost connection before you lost them, you might only be able to see their last known location.
- You wouldn’t be able to see your AirPods’ location if you had kept them in a charging case before you lost them.
- If you find only one AirPod, put it in the cases and refresh the map to find the other earpiece.
- If you only want to find one AirPod at one time, tap the speaker icon that you see in the Find feature and then tap Right or Left to play a sound in only one of them. You can press Stop when you find them or simply put them in their case to stop their beeping.
Method #2: Using Lost Mode
If you can’t find your AirPods using your iPhone, you can use the Lost Mode to mark them as lost. This mode locks the AirPods and allows other iPhone users to send you a notification if they come across your AirPods.
To enable Lost Mode:
- Launch the Find My app.
- Tap on Devices.
- Choose your AirPods from Your Devices.
- Scroll up, and you’ll see an option Mark As Lost. Select Activate and tap on Continue.
- Put in your number so that others can text or call you if they come across your AirPods. You can also use your email address.
- Tap Next.
- Toggle the Notify When Found option and tap on Activate.
Once you find the AirPods, make sure you turn off the Lost Mode from your Find My app.
Method #3: Using the Web Browser
Another way to find your AirPods is by using iCloud on the browser. You can access iCloud with any device, including your Android smartphone and even your laptop. This method is handy if you can’t use your iPhone to find your AirPods.
Here’s what you need to do:
- Open your browser and go to iCloud.com/find.
- Log in to your Apple account.
- If you’re using a laptop, go to All Devices at the top of the screen. If you’re using your phone, you will see all your Apple devices at the bottom. Choose yours from the list to see its last known location.
- If you only want to find just one AirPod at one time, click on Play Sound. You can then click on the Mute Right or Mute Left buttons in Find My on iCloud so that only one AirPod plays the sound.
It is very easy to lose your AirPods, especially if you’re not in the habit of using them. And Apple knows that, too, which is why it has introduced many built-in features that allow you to find your AirPods if you end up losing one or even both of them.
So, if you can’t find your AirPods, follow the methods above, and you’ll be able to see their location. You can then just follow the map and find your AirPods!
Frequently Asked Questions
You can track AirPods if they are up to 40 feet away. If they go out of that range, you won’t be able to track them. You should also note that if they are stolen, then the person can sync them to their iPhone, making it more difficult for you to track your AirPods.
While GPS is incredibly helpful in tracking down things, it is not included in the AirPods and the AirPods case. It is only limited to your iPhone.