Are you trying to watch a video on the YouTube app but can do so because of the age restriction issues? Luckily, there are a few ways to turn off this filter.
To turn off the age restriction on the YouTube app, launch the app and tap your profile picture in the upper-right corner of the screen. Select “Settings” > “General”. Scroll down and turn off “Restricted Mode”.
We took the time to write a comprehensive guide to help you get age restriction off on the YouTube app with easy step-by-step instructions. We’ll also discuss turning off the YouTube Restricted Mode on a PC.
- Getting the Age Restriction Off the YouTube App
- Getting the YouTube Age Restriction Off on a PC
- Frequently Asked Questions
Getting the Age Restriction Off the YouTube App
If you want to get the age restriction off the YouTube app, our 3 step-by-step methods will help you go through this process without much trouble.
Method #1: Turning Off the YouTube Age Restriction on Android
Do the following steps to get the age restriction off while using the YouTube app on your Android device.
- Launch the YouTube app from your Android home screen.
- Tap the profile icon in the top-right corner to access your YouTube account details.
- Tap “Settings” at the bottom.
- Tap “General”.
- Scroll and toggle “Restricted Mode” to disable it.
Now, the YouTube age restriction is turned off on your Android device, and you can watch videos you were once not permitted to view.
Another way to bypass the age restriction on the YouTube app is to install the VLC Android app from the Play Store. Launch the app and tap the three-dotted “More” option.
Tap “New stream” and paste the YouTube video URL you want to watch in the address bar. Tap the arrow icon, and the VLC app will start to stream the video without any issues.
Method #2: Turning Off the YouTube Age Restriction on iOS
You can turn off the YouTube age restriction on your iPhone or iPad, in the same way, as on an Android device.
- Swipe left to access the App Library, and tap the YouTube app to open it.
- Tap the profile icon and go to “Settings” > “General”.
- Scroll down and toggle “Restricted Mode” to turn off the age restriction.
You will have to turn off the YouTube Restricted Mode on all your devices separately because this setting is not synchronized on all signed-in devices.
Method #3: Turning Off the YouTube Age Restriction on a Smart TV
With a smart TV, you can enjoy age-restricted YouTube videos on a large screen in the following way.
- Press the “Home” or “Menu” button on the supplied remote.
- Navigate to the “Apps” section and select YouTube to launch it.
- Select the gear icon on the lower-left corner to open Settings.
- Select and disable “Restricted Mode”.
A few Samsung Smart TV models have a “Smart Hub” button that works as the “Home” button to access the main menu and the “Apps” section.
Getting the YouTube Age Restriction Off on a PC
Follow these steps to turn off the age restriction on YouTube on your desktop or laptop computer so you can watch all videos without any content filter.
- Launch a browser and open the YouTube website.
- Single-click on your profile icon in the top-right corner of the screen.
- Single-click “Restricted Mode”.
In the new pop-up window, toggle the “Activate Restricted Mode” option to get the age restriction off YouTube.
In this guide about how to get age restriction off on the YouTube app, we’ve discussed some valuable methods for turning off the restricted mode on Android, iOS, and Smart TVs. We’ve also shared a simple and quick process to disable the restricted content on the YouTube website via the browser on a PC.
Hopefully, now you can view all sorts of content without any issues.
Frequently Asked Questions
If you cannot get the age restriction off the YouTube app, sign out of your Google account and restart your device. Sign in again to your Google account and see if this fixes the issue. If the problem persists, try clearing the YouTube app cache or installing the latest version of the app.
YouTube requires you to verify your age to ensure that you are mature enough to view the age-restricted videos. If you are under 18, YouTube will automatically disable adult videos and not show suggestions for such content in your feed.
To verify your age on the YouTube app, you need to verify your birthday on Google. To do this, log in to the Google account privacy page and select “Personal Info” in the left pane. Under “Basic Info”, click “Birthday”, update your age, and click “OK”.