Notes consist of our deepest secrets, passwords, and even conversations we make with ourselves. But most of all, they are private – especially some of them. So, if you share this interest, you are probably wondering if there is a way to hide your notes on your iPhone?
Lucky for you, yes, there is! Simply head to “Notes”, click on the desired note, go to the three dots and press the “Lock” option. Yes, that’s it! Moreover, this trick is so clever that no one would even know that you have locked your notes.
Yet the trick itself is only reliable to a certain degree. But don’t worry, we have found some alternatives for you.
You will find out why you should lock your notes. Also, we are providing a complete guide on locking/unlocking the notes, accessing a locked note, and bonus tips. So, let’s start right away!
- Why Should You Hide Your Notes?
- How To Lock Your Notes on iPhone
- How To Unlock Your Notes on iPhone
- How To Open a Locked Note
- How To Lock Multiple Notes
- How To Change the Password on Notes
- Other Ways to Lock Your Content
- Frequently Asked Questions
Why Should You Hide Your Notes?
Are you wondering if hiding your notes is worth the trouble? Let’s see a few reasons that may convince you why you need to keep your notes locked.
- You may have a friend that is too friendly around your phone.
- To save your personal information from snooping eyes.
- Protect your confidential data like medical information, passwords, billing details, etc.
- To hide your data if your phone gets stolen.
- To write to yourself.
Is locking a note different than hiding the note? No, they are two parts of the same process. First, you lock a note and then hide it using a password.
Memorize your Notes password. If for any reason, you forget your password, not even Apple will be able to assist you. Moreover, forgetting your password means you cannot access your previous locked notes. So, watch out and find a way to keep the password in your memory!
Using Mnemonic is a helpful tip.
How To Lock Your Notes on iPhone
Here is a quick guide on protecting your notes from snooping eyes.
- First, open your “Notes” application.
- Now, select the note you wish to lock.
- Click on the “More” button and tap on the “Lock” option.
- Set up a password or enable Face/Touch ID.
- Suggest a password hint for yourself.
- Tap on “Done” and you are all set.
How To Unlock Your Notes on iPhone
Do you not like the lock feature anymore? Is it too confusing? No worries! You can revert the settings and unlock your notes through these steps:
- Click on the desired locked note.
- Tap on the “View Note” option.
- Enter your password or use Face/Touch ID.
- Press the “More” button.
- Click on “Remove”.
A tip is that by unlocking the note, you will remove this feature from all your devices.
How To Open a Locked Note
That’s easy! Follow these four simple steps, and you can access any locked note:
- Click on the locked note. There will be a lock icon next to it.
- Tap on the “View Note” option.
- Put in the password or use the Face/Touch ID.
- You will get access to the locked note.
How To Lock Multiple Notes
It may seem a significant hurdle to go to every note and lock it. What can you do to lock additional notes? Follow these steps:
- Launch the “Note” application.
- Click on a note that is not locked.
- Tap on the “Share” button.
- A pop-up will open. Click on “Lock Note”.
- Enter the existing password for your locked notes.
- Tap on the locked button to hide all notes.
All the notes that you lock will have the same password. If you open a locked note, all the other locked notes will also be available for viewing. So, you will have to hide them back again.
How To Change the Password on Notes
- Head to the “Settings” on your iPhone.
- Go to “Notes” > “Password”.
- Type your old password.
- Enter your new password and the password hint for a memory boost.
Other Ways to Lock Your Content
For privacy, locking the notes is rarely the first option for many users. It is because the locking option is not available for notes with pictures, videos, audio, and PDF files.
In such cases, the users may face trouble protecting their private data. Instead, you can seek the following options.
Method #1: Hidden Folder in Photos
You can use the hidden folder option in your Photos application to protect your photos and videos. This is for people who are unable to lock the photos in their notes.
- Launch the “Photos” app.
- Select the photo or photos you wish to hide.
- Click on the “Share” option.
- Scroll through the list of options to find the “Hide” button. Tap on it.
- Select “Hide Photo”.
Method #2: Using a Different Application
You can use different software to initiate a lock password on your photos, videos, documents, apps, and even social media applications.
However, you should note that these locking applications are not always trustworthy. Please do your research to find the best one, and then download it from the Apple Play Store.
Privacy is no joke. In the world we live in today, it is always best to carry a phone that has layers of protection.
Plus, it wouldn’t hurt to enable the locking password on Notes if you have personal information there. As for the process, we hope it was as easy as we claimed it to be.
Frequently Asked Questions
If a note is locked, you will see a lock icon next to the note.
It could be that your phone is not updated. Or maybe you are trying to lock photos/audio files/documents which are not compatible with this feature.
If it is none of these options, then try this:
1) Go to the “Settings” on your iPhone.
2) Then go to “Notes” > “Password”.
3) Enter a password.
4) Use that password to lock notes.