Do you have a channel on Discord that you want to lock for all the users? Or maybe you don’t want anyone to see or interact in your Discord channel anymore? If yes, you are at the right place. You can easily lock a Discord channel by following a few easy steps.
You can open channel settings and disable all the permissions. This will successfully lock a Discord channel. But, to do this, you are required to be a Server Administrator.
So, let’s discuss how to lock a Discord channel step by step. The process is easy, but it is different for both Discord Desktop and Mobile App.
Locking a Discord Channel
Discord channels are a great way to build a community of your people and discuss specific things or topics. But sometimes, you get offended by the people in the channel, or your channel is dead, and no one interacts.
So, you will need to lock it, but you don’t want all the messages or content to be lost. In this matter, you will have to lock it for everyone except you or the other channel administrator.
Let’s discuss how you can do that with two simple methods.
How to Lock a Discord Channel?
Locking a discord channel is easy, but the method is different for mobile and desktop. The reason behind this is the app. You may know that the Discord app’s user interface and settings are slightly different from the mobile app.
You can only lock or edit a channel’s settings if you have required permissions from the channel owner or you are the Channel Administrator. If you have none of them, you can’t lock the channel anyway.
So, let’s discuss both methods in detail.
Method #1: Lock a Discord Channel on Desktop App
You can lock a Discord Channel by using the desktop app. Here are some simple steps that you can follow.
- Open the Discord app on your desktop computer.
- Go inside the server in which you want to lock a channel.
- Now, look for the targeted channel you want to lock and get the cursor on it.
- You will see a settings icon next to the channel name; click on it.
- It will open the channel settings, where you will see an option named “Permission.” Click on it.
- Some permission settings will be opened on your right side called “Advanced Permissions.”
- You will have to click on the “@everyone” option.
- This will open some “General Channel Permissions.”
- Here you will have to choose “Disable all the permissions”.
- After disabling them, click on the “Save Changes” icon that you can find on the bottom right side.
This will lock your channel on the Discord network. You can also restart the app to confirm that the channel is locked successfully.
Method #2: Lock a Discord Channel on Mobile App
If you use the Discord App on your mobile and want to lock a channel, here are the simple steps to help you.
- Open the Discord app and wait for it to load.
- Go inside the server in which your target channel is created.
- You will have to click on the three dots that you can see in the top right corner.
- Now click on the “Settings,” and it will open Server Settings.
- Here, you will scroll down and click on the “Channels” option.
- It will show you all the channels. So, you will have to spot and click on the channel you want to lock.
- This will open channel settings. Here you will have to click on “Permissions.”
- Here you will have to click on “@everyone.”
- It will open all the “General Channel Permissions.”
- Now, disable all the permissions by clicking on the RED X sign.
- After disabling all the permissions, click on the Blue Icon that you can see in the bottom right corner.
This will save changes and lock the channel.
Here I have discussed how you can lock a Discord channel by using a desktop app or mobile app. The procedure is the same for both devices, but some steps are changed due to different user interfaces.
I hope this guide will help you successfully lock a channel. If you still have any questions or something in mind, do share that with me by writing in the comment section below.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes, you can delete a Discord channel. To do so, go to your server and right-click the channel you wish to delete. You can click “Delete Channel” and confirm the deletion by clicking again. You will only be able to delete channels you have permission to delete or manage.
You don’t have to pay anything to join a Discord channel. This is because the app is free-to-use for anyone with an internet connection. You can create your channels or join one of the thousands created by other users. Joining a channel on Discord doesn’t cost you money.