Regardless of brand or model, every keyboard includes a set of unique keys that allow you to access specific tasks or features quickly.
Above the number keys, there is a row labeled F1 to F12. These keys may be found on almost every keyboard, whether for a Mac or a PC. These keys serve two functions: as Fn keys, they execute a distinct operation, and as secondary actions, they control the volume, brightness, music playback, etc.
Wouldn’t it be more convenient if you could utilize function keys instead of hitting the Fn key? This article discusses how you can do it! You can permanently lock the Fn key if you don’t want to press it whenever you wish to access the function keys.
The Lock Key Function
Holding down two keys, the “Fn key” and the “Fn lock key” activate the Fn key lock. The Fn lock key is usually the Escape key, denoted with a padlock. Check the full keypads since the lock might be on another key. You cannot activate the Fn key lock if it is not present on your keyboard.
Fn key lock is not accessible on all keyboards, and this is entirely dependent on the manufacturer and has nothing to do with drivers or a Windows 10 feature. The default function of the Fn keys on a PC is specified in the BIOS.
When you hold down the Fn key on your keyboard, you will be able to use the secondary action of the Fn keys. Some laptops allow you to disable the Fn keys. This is equivalent to turning on Caps Lock, which will enable you to type in total capital letters. The Fn key lock operates in the same manner. When you turn it on, it’s as if you’re always pressing the Fn key.
How To Lock the Fn Key?
Some keyboards allow users to lock the Fn key, so they don’t have to press it whenever they want to perform a secondary key function. As a result, you may be able to use an Fn lock key on your keyboard. Look for a keyboard key that has an Fn padlock icon.
On many keyboards, Esc is an Fn padlock key.
- Click and hold the Fn key if you see an Fn padlock on your Esc key.
- While holding down the Fn key, hit Esc. You will no longer need to press the Fn key to activate secondary functionalities.
- If your Fn keys had been controlling media – such as volume, playback, and so on – turning on the Fn key lock will cause the Fn keys to serve a secondary purpose.
- F1 brings up the Help menu in an app.
- F12 brings up the web console in your browser.
To turn off the Fn key lock, follow the steps you used to turn it on. Tap and hold the Fn key, then once on the Escape key.
Method #1: BIOS
- Locate the key that will take you to your BIOS settings. These keys differ based on the model of your laptop.
- Turn on your computer and, while the system is starting, immediately hit the key to access your computer’s BIOS settings.
- If you miss the boot window and the laptop continues to load, reboot the computer.
- Enter the System Configuration menu by using the right or left arrow key.
- Look for the Action Keys Mode option by using the down arrow key. You may activate or disable the Fn key from here.
If this option is active, you will not need to press the Fn key to access functions printed on the keys. To utilize functions written on the Fn keys, if disabled, hit the Fn key.
Method #2: Keyboard Settings
The quickest approach to lock or unlock the Fn key is to use your keyboard settings. If you have an Fn lock key, you may use it with the Fn key to lock and unlock the Fn keys.
The Fn lock key is a lock symbol located beneath the Escape key. If you can’t find it under the Esc key, see if it’s anywhere else. The Fn key may not be present at all on some keyboards. Repeat this method to activate or disable the Fn key as needed.
You may also try one of the following key combinations to unlock the Fn key.
- Ctrl + Shift + Num.
- Fn + Num.
- Num + F11.
- Fn + F11.
We have discussed how you can lock the Fn key on your keyboard and how you can unlock it. You can also perform other functions with the same key, and it is easy, especially when you follow the correct approach.