The Apple Watch has a light sensor that automatically regulates its screen brightness. This sensor adapts to this environment in a low light intensity environment by reducing the brightness level. This function is similar to how most smartphones decrease their brightness to night light later in the day.
The problem with this function is when you stay in low light for long hours, your Apple Watch will adapt fully to this environment. After that, it becomes challenging to readjust itself when in bright light; hence, the need to learn how to adjust your Apple Watch screen brightness.
You can manually adjust your Apple Watch screen brightness using the Settings app on your watch. Other ways involve restarting, updating the OS, and using an iPhone flashlight or sunlight to reactivate the light sensor.
In this article, you will learn how to make your Apple Watch brighter.
How To Make the Apple Watch Brighter
The settings and display icon in your Apple Watch can help you adjust your screen brightness. Also, methods such as restarting your Apple Watch, using a light source, and updating its operating system can work.
Below are the different methods to increase your Apple Watch screen brightness.
Method #1: Manually Increase the Brightness of the Apple Watch
To manually increase the brightness on the Apple Watch, you should:
- Open your Watch app by pressing the digital crown.
- Click on the Settings icon.
- Select “Display and Brightness“ when you scroll down.
- Click the sun-shaped icon on the right to adjust the brightness.
Method #2: Restart Your Apple Watch
Restarting your Apple Watch clears out bad system memories and reactivates the light sensor in the Apple Watch.
To restart your Apple Watch, you should follow these steps.
- Hold the side button for about 3 seconds and let the power off screen come up.
- Swipe the slider to the right to switch the watch off. After that, wait for 60 seconds.
- Press the side button for about 3 seconds to turn on the Apple Watch again.
It usually takes about 2 minutes for your watch to boot. When it comes on, you will see the passcode page for you to put in your credentials.
Method #3: Reactivate the Light Sensor with an External Light Source
Another way to get your Apple Watch screen brighter is to shine an external light on it. Your iPhone flashlight or the sunlight is a good light source for this method.
All tech gadgets that automatically adjust their brightness have a screen brightness sensor, which can discern the brightness/light intensity of the environment.
When the brightness of the environment is low, for instance, at night, the sensor discerns it and tells the Apple Watch to decrease its brightness level. This light intensity is also known as “Night Mode“.
On the other hand, when the environment is very bright, the sensor discerns it. However, the Apple Watch increases its brightness because the surrounding light causes reflection on the screen, making viewing difficult. Hence, the brightness level of individual texts, images, and icons on the screen must be increased for viewing clarity.
Therefore, activating the environmental light sensor of your watch tricks it into believing it is in a very bright environment. Hence, increasing screen brightness.
Here is how to increase the screen brightness of your watch using the sun or your iPhone light.
- Hold your Apple Watch on your palm with the screen facing upwards.
- Go outside in the direction of the sun rays or use the flashlight of your iPhone.
- Place your watch screen directly in the sunlight or shine your iPhone flashlight on it. Ensure that your watch receives enough brightness from it.
By now, you will see your Apple Watch screen’s brightness increase.
1. You should use a powerful light for this method.
2. Allow sufficient time for the sensor to accommodate the light source fully. You should allow at least 1 minute of light exposure.
Method #4: Update Your Apple Watch
If your Apple Watch operating system is not recent, it will face challenges of outdated versions such as bugs and last other improvements. The recent watchOS will improve brightness and other functions; hence, it helps to have the current OS version.
Here is how to update your Apple Watch using your iPhone.
- On your iPhone, click the Watch app and go to the “My Watch” screen.
- Click “General” > “Software Update” > “Download and Install“.
- Input your iPhone login credentials.
- Agree to the terms and conditions. Once you agree, the watchOS will start updating.
- Once downloaded, click “Install” to install it on your Apple Watch.
1. Ensure that your Apple Watch is at least 50% charged and connected to a charging source during the downloading and installation process.
2. Before starting the process, ensure that your iPhone and Apple Watch are connected to a strong Bluetooth or Wi-Fi connection.
The Apple Watch screen occasionally may fail to increase its brightness, particularly when we need to view our watch in bright sunlight. Despite this issue, we can still adjust the brightness level and increase it when you make some changes to your phone. This article has listed the various ways to adjust your Apple Watch screen brightness.