Perhaps you are always working with your laptop, and the screen’s brightness affects your eyes; you might need to change the brightness of your laptop regularly. You might want to turn the brightness up when you are outside. And you might want to dim the light in a dark room, so it doesn’t hurt your eyes. To save your battery life and also save power, you need to decrease your screen brightness. So can you make your laptop screen darker?
You can change the screen brightness manually and automatically using some methods. You can use the function keys, Windows Action Center, Windows 10 Settings, Power Plan Settings, and Windows Mobility Center to manually change the brightness. To automatically change the brightness, the ambient light sensor is used.
You might also suffer from some eye defects, so having a bright screen might cause discomfort. As you read this article, you will learn how to make your laptop screen darker. Just be patient enough to read and try these methods to be explained.
- How To Manually Adjust the Screen Brightness
- How To Adjust the Brightness Automatically Using Ambient Light
How To Manually Adjust the Screen Brightness
There are a few methods you can use to reduce the brightness of your laptop. As you continue reading, you will understand each method.
Method #1: Using the Function Keys
Some shortcut keys on most laptops’ keyboards will help you increase or decrease your screen brightness. These keys are often in the F-keys row (from F1 through F12) above the number row on your laptop keyboard.
Here’s how you can adjust screen brightness using function keys.
- Locate the key with the sun logo on your keyboard.
- Hold down the function key.
- Press the key with the sun logo together with the function key.
Method #2: Using the Windows Action Center
Within Windows, you can also reduce or adjust the brightness of your screen. If your keyboard doesn’t have these keys, this is usually very helpful, or maybe you have to do it within your software because you are using a tablet.
Here’s how to change screen brightness using the Windows Action Center.
- Click on the taskbar’s notification bubble at the right of the clock.
- Click on “Expand” above the grid of tiles.
- Hold down and drag the slider to reduce the brightness.
Method #3: Using Windows 10 Settings
Another method you can use is when you use the brightness slider in Windows 10’s Action Center. On Windows 10, this option can be found in the Settings app.
Here’s how to change screen brightness using Windows 10’s Action Center.
- Click on the Start menu and open Settings.
- Click on the “Display” option after you select Settings.
- Tap down and drag the “Adjust brightness level” slider.
Method #4: Using Power Plan Settings
You might not have a Settings app because you are using Windows 7 or 8, but this option is available in the Control Panel.
Here’s how to change your screen brightness using Power Plan settings.
- Click on “Hardware and Sound” on your Control Panel.
- Select “Power Options”.
- At the bottom of the “Power Plans” window, hold down and drag the “Screen brightness” slider.
Method #5: Using Windows Mobility Center
You can change the brightness on the Windows Mobility Center using the procedure below.
Here’s how to change your screen brightness using Windows Mobility Center.
- Right-click the Start button on Windows 10 or 8.1.
- Click on “Mobility Center”.
- Alternatively, you can press the Windows key + X on Windows 7.
- A “Display brightness” window will appear. Hold down and drag the slider to adjust brightness.
How To Adjust the Brightness Automatically Using Ambient Light
Ambient light sensors are on many modern laptops, and these sensors work similarly to the ones found on smartphones. Your display brightness can automatically increase using “Adaptive Brightness” when you are in a bright area and decrease when you are in a dark place. Though this feature is convenient, the brightness might decrease or increase when you don’t want it to. So you might want to manage the brightness settings manually.
On Windows 10, to disable or enable this feature, click on the Settings app icon and select “System” > “Display”. Turn on or off the option “Change brightness automatically when light changes”. If your device has an ambient brightness sensor, that’s when you will see this option.
Here’s how to automatically set your brightness using ambient light.
- On the Control Panel, select “Hardware and Sound”.
- Click on “Power Options”.
- Click on “Change Power Plan”.
- Select “Change advanced power settings”.
The ambient light sensors are not available on all devices. So it’s not all devices that support this method. But if your device has sensors, you can use the above method to change the brightness automatically.
These methods above have explained how to reduce your laptop’s brightness easily. Carefully follow these steps, and your screen’s brightness will be reduced to what you want.