No instrument around to measure distance? Not a big deal. You can estimate the distance between two points using your iPhone.
You can use your iPhone camera and choose the Measure app to measure the length. You have to set the start and end points of the measurement manually. Moreover, iPhone can detect the dimensions of rectangular objects.
If you don’t have an instrument to measure distance, then it’s not a problem anymore. In this article, you will find ways to calculate distance using an iPhone.
Method #1: Using the Google App
We can use the Google Maps app to measure the distance between two points. Google Maps is a consumer application by Google. This app offers satellite imagery, street maps, and router planning. It also allows us to measure distance.
Now, we’ll discuss the steps involved in the distance measuring technique. Follow these simple guidelines.
- Turn on your iPhone and open the Google Maps app.
- Touch anywhere on the map, and a red pin will appear.
- Select “Measure Distance”.
- Move the black circle in the map to the point you want to add.
- At the bottom-right portion, tap the “Add Point” icon.
- At the bottom, you will find the distance in kilometers.
- To remove the last point, click “Clear”.
- When done, tap the back arrow.
Method #2: Using Apple’s Measure App (Manual Measurement)
If you are using iOS 12, you will notice a new Apple app called Measure. This app uses augmented reality to measure the distance or length of the object using an iPhone camera.
Augmented reality is a system with three essential features: a combination of natural and virtual worlds, real-time interaction, and 3D virtual and natural objects.
Let’s discuss how we can use the Measure app to find distance manually.
- Launch the Measure app.
- Move the camera around the object you want to measure.
- You will see a white dot.
- Tap the “+ Measure” button to select the starting point.
- Move to the endpoint and tap the “+ Measure” button again. The final measurement will appear in the middle of the line.
Method #3: Using Apple’s Measure App (Automatic Measurement)
This procedure will use the same app we used in the previous process, but the process is relatively straightforward. This time we don’t have to drag the line on the object to measure its length.
- Open the Measure app and use iPhone’s camera to locate objects.
- Position the camera so that object appears on the screen.
- When the camera detects the rectangular object, white dots surround it.
- The measurement will appear on the things. Tap the icon on the screen to capture the photo of the measurement.
While using the Measure app, you will see a green dot indicating that the camera is in use. Scan the objects and take their measurements.
Method #4: Using the Air Measure App
Measure app Ultimate Augmented Reality Measuring Toolkit. With more than 15 ways to take accurate measurements. It has a bundle of other features, such as laser levels and brushes for marking 3D things.
Some essential elements of this app are given below.
- Tape measure with three modes: air, surface, and points.
- You can choose between Metric and Imperial or Standard Units.
- It allows us to draw 3D objects.
- It offers an angle measurement tool and an on-screen ruler.
Follow the steps for accurate measurements.
- Open the iPhone’s camera and point towards the object.
- Move your phone from point A to B like a tape measure.
- Restrict your phone to the surface.
Technology has made our lives reliable, allowing us to create new innovative approaches. Today we can handle things with one click. Technology can be a blessing if we use it positively.
We can perform complex tasks by using our phones. Now we can measure distance with one click. Isn’t it amazing? We don’t need to use a ruler or scale anymore. These apps have allowed us to make our work more accessible and accurate.
Frequently Asked Questions
You’ll find different apps for measuring distance using an iPhone. We may use some popular apps like Distance Measure, Easy Measure, Ruler AR, and Tape Measure.
It is effortless to calculate distance using an iPhone as it usually takes seconds to measure it.
iPhone 12, iPhone 12 Pro Max, iPhone 13, and iPhone 13 Pro Max have ruler view and allow accurate readings. They are also able to measure the height and straight edges of furniture.