It is safe to say that smartphones have become the focal point of entertainment today. And with TVs becoming smart, it makes sense to want to combine the best of both worlds, such as mirroring a smartphone to a smart TV. But you may already know that Apple and Android aren’t all that compatible. So, how do you mirror an iPhone to an Android TV if you want to?
There are many ways to mirror an iPhone to an Android TV. One way to mirror your iPhone to an Android TV is with a streaming device like Roku. Another way to do it is by using third-party software like AirScreen. And a more cost-effective way to mirror your iPhone to an Android TV is by using an HDMI adapter.
Mirroring your iPhone to an Android TV is great, but it is worth noting that each method has its ups and downs. Hence, you should be aware of these ups and downs to choose the best method. This article elaborates on how you can mirror an iPhone to an Android TV.
Different Ways To Mirror an iPhone to an Android TV
It is pretty easy to cast an Android device on an Android TV. You can easily go to your Android TV and use its built-in smart view, cast, or mirroring feature to mirror an Android device. But when you want to mirror an iPhone to an Android TV, things get more complicated because of compatibility issues.
Technically, Apple didn’t design the iPhone’s mirroring feature to cast photos, videos, music, or even presentations to an Android TV. However, a workaround exists to mirror an iPhone to an Android TV wirelessly or with wire.
Below are the three ways to mirror an iPhone to an Android TV.
Method #1: Using a Streaming Device
Some of the newer Android TVs today have a built-in feature that allows you to mirror your iPhone to the screen. However, not all Android TV has that capability. So, if your Android TV does not have that capability, one way to integrate it into your Android TV is by using a streaming device.
You can get several streaming devices to achieve this, like the Roku Stick, Fire TV Stick, or the classic Apple TV. So, provided your Android TV has an HDMI port, you can easily connect your streaming device to your TV, connect your iPhone to the streaming device, and cast anything from your iPhone to the big screen.
Here’s how to cast an iPhone to an Android TV using Roku.
- Plug your Roku device into your Android TV via the HDMI cable and turn both devices on.
- Connect your iPhone and the Roku device to the same Wi-Fi network before you proceed.
- On the Roku remote, press the Home button, navigate to Settings, scroll down, and select “Apple AirPlay and HomeKit”.
- On the sidebar, ensure the AirPlay is turned on.
- On your iPhone, scroll down from the top right corner of your screen and tap on the screen mirroring button.
- Tap on the Roku Streaming Stick and when it asks for a code, enter the code displayed on your TV, and it will automatically start mirroring your device.
Roku recently updated its platform with a built-in Apple AirPlay, making it very easy to mirror your iPhone to the device without using any third-party app. So ensure your Roku device is up to date if you want to use this feature.
Method #2: Using Third-Party Software
Another way to mirror an iPhone to an Android device is by using a third party. There are many such apps, like AirScreen, which is quite easy to use. These apps work by creating a local media server to which your iPhone can connect and mirror its screen. Mirroring your iPhone is relatively inexpensive as you don’t have to buy any device. You must ensure your Android TV is connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your iPhone.
Here’s how to cast an iPhone to an Android TV using AirScreen.
- Get the AirScreen app on your Android TV, which you can get on the Google Play Store or other stores if your Android TV does not support the Play Store.
- When the app is downloaded on your TV, launch it and click “Start Service”, then select “Start”.
- Connect your iPhone to the same Wi-Fi network as your Android TV, as this is what will allow the streaming.
- On your iPhone, scroll down from the top right of your screen, tap on screen mirroring, and tap on the AirScreen service to connect, and both devices will pair automatically.
Using AirScreen is free, but if you want to cast videos or pictures, you must watch promotion videos which are limited to only 15 per day; otherwise, you can get the premium version which offers you unlimited mirroring.
Method #3: Using an HDMI Adapter
An HDMI adapter is the most cost-effective way to mirror your iPhone to an Android TV. This method works on all TV, including TVs that are not smart, provided it has an HDMI port. However, it would help if you bought an adapter with a lightning connector to a VGA or HDMI connector.
Here’s how to mirror an iPhone to an Android TV using an HDMI adapter.
- Connect the HDMI adapter to the HDMI port of your Android TV.
- Use a USB-C or lightning cable to connect your iPhone to the adapter.
- Turn on your Android TV and switch it to the correct input source, which will automatically mirror your iPhone.
Note that most of these adapters have a resolution of 900p, but some of the high-end Apple Lightning to HDMI adapters promise up to 1080p resolution.
The methods highlighted in this article are the best ways to cast an iPhone on an Android TV. These methods are not only easy but practical, considering that Apple devices aren’t all that compatible with cross-platform devices. So, when you next want to cast your iPhone to a big screen, you can try any of the methods.