Have you received a RAR file on your iPhone and can’t figure out how to open it? Fortunately, there are multiple workarounds to open these compressed files.
To open RAR files on iPhone, open the Files app, locate and tap the “RAR” file for extracting its contents, and open the extracted files. You can also install third-party apps on your iPhone to extract and open the RAR files.
We have compiled an extensive step-by-step guide for you on opening RAR files on iPhone with the Files, Mail, and third-party apps.
Opening RAR Files on iPhone
If you are wondering how to open RAR files on your iPhone, our two step-by-step methods will assist you in accomplishing this task without much trouble.
Method #1: Using Files App
If your iPhone runs on iOS 13 or above, you can use the Files app to open RAR & ZIP files.
- Open the Files app on your iPhone from the home screen.
- Find and open the RAR/ZIP file.
- Tap the file to extract and view its contents.
You can also tap and hold the RAR/ZIP file and choose the “Uncompress” option from the menu to see its contents.
Method #2: Using Mail App
You can use Apple’s Mail app to open the RAR files if the underlying contents of the file are in a format supported by the iPhone natively.
- Launch the Mail app on your iPhone.
- Open the email containing the RAR/ZIP file and select the attachment.
- Tap the “Preview Content” option appearing below the file name.
The RAR/ZIP file will open up successfully if your device’s iOS version supports the format of its underlying contents.
Using Third-Party Apps
If your iPhone runs on a version older than iOS 13 and your RAR files’ content is not in the formats supported by the installed iOS, you can take the help of third-party applications to open them.
Method #1: Using the iZip App
Follow the steps below to open RAR files using the iZip app on your iPhone.
- Install the iZip app and launch it on your iPhone.
- Select “Document Browser” from the main menu, and tap “Browse” at the bottom.
- Locate and tap the file; a message saying “your file is successfully imported” will appear on the screen.
- Tap “Yes” to proceed and tap “OK” to unzip the files.
- All the extracted files will show up in the app.
Method #2: Using Documents by Readdle App
The Documents by Readdle is another app you can use to open RAR files on your iPhone.
- Install the “Documents by Readdle” app from your iPhone’s App Store.
- Open and set up the application.
- On the My Files page, locate and tap the RAR file.
- Tap “Extract” and choose where you want to save the extracted files.
The RAR file is extracted, and you can now open and share its contents with others.
Method #3: Using ZIP & RAR File Extractor App
Here are the steps you need to follow to use the ZIP & RAR File Extractor app for opening the RAR files on your iPhone.
- Install the “ZIP & RAR File Extractor” app from your iPhone’s App Store.
- Navigate to iCloud Drive > Browse.
- Find the archive file, tap it and choose “Files” as the target location.
- Go to “Files” and select the RAR file you want to open.
- Choose “Extract” at the bottom.
The “ZIP & RAR File Extractor” app will create a folder featuring the same name as your RAR file. The folder will have the compressed file’s contents in uncompressed form.
Method #4: Using WinZip App
You can follow the steps below for opening RAR files on your iPhone using the WinZip app.
- Install the WinZip app from the App Store and open it.
- Tap “Clouds” at the bottom in the left pane and select “iCloud.”
- Locate and tap the RAR file you want to open.
- Tap the three dots next to the compressed file.
- Tap “Unzip” from the pop-up menu and wait until all the files are saved on your device.
In this guide on opening RAR files on iPhone, we have looked into the RAR files’ contents using the Files and Mail app. We have also discussed multiple third-party apps you can use to quickly access uncompressed files on your iPhone.
Hopefully, one of these methods has worked for you, and you can now easily view, open, and share the RAR files using your iPhone.