Have you received XLSX files on your Mac through email or other sources but cannot view their contents? Luckily, there are a few workarounds to open these files quickly.
To open XLSX files on your Mac, download the Microsoft Excel software, open Finder, head to the destination folder that contains the XLSX files, right-click on a file, click “Open With”, and select “Excel” from the drop-down list. You can also use the default Numbers app to open the XLSX files on your Mac.
Below, we have written a detailed step-by-step guide on how to open XLSX files on a Mac using native and third-party apps to make the whole process as easy as possible.
Opening XLSX Files on Mac
If you don’t know how to open XLSX files on your Mac, our following 5 step-by-step methods will help you do this task effortlessly.
Method #1: Using Microsoft Excel
You can use Microsoft Excel on your Mac to open the XLSX file quickly on your Mac by following these easy steps.
- Open a browser on your Mac and head to the Microsoft Excel download page.
- Download the software and add it to the “Applications” folder.
- Launch Finder and go to the destination folder that contains the XLSX files.
- Right-click on a file, click “Open With”, select “Excel” from the drop-down list, and the XLSX file will be opened on your Mac.
Method #2: Using the Numbers App
You can open XLSX files on your Mac using the built-in Numbers spreadsheet software in the following way.
- Launch the Numbers app, click “File” on the menu bar, and select “Open…”
- Navigate to the folder where the XLSX file is saved on your Mac.
- Select the file, and it will open in the default Numbers app!
If the Numbers app is the only spreadsheet software installed on your Mac, you can simply click it to view its contents. Alternatively, open Finder, head to the location of the XLSX file, right-click on it, choose “Open With”, and select “Numbers” to view the file.
Method #3: Using Google Sheets
With these steps, it is possible to open XLSX files on your Mac with Google Sheets.
- Open a browser on your Mac, head to the Google Drive website, and sign in with your details.
- Locate the XLSX file on your Mac and drag it into Google Drive.
- Once the file is uploaded to Drive, right-click on it, and select “Open With”.
- Select “Google Sheets”.
- The XLSX file will now be converted into Google Sheets and opened on your Mac.
Method #4: Using the OpenOffice App
Another quick way to open XLSX files on your Mac is to use third-party spreadsheet software, such as OpenOffice, in the following way.
- Open a browser on your Mac and head to the OpenOffice download page.
- Select your macOS from the list and click “Download full installation”.
- Install the software on your Mac and open the associated Calc app.
- Click “File”.
- Click “Open” and go to the folder where the XLSX file is saved on your Mac.
- Click “Open” again, and the XLSX file will open!
Method #5: Using the WPS App
WPS is another great third-party app to open XLSX files on a Mac in the following way.
- Open a browser on your Mac and head to the Mac’s WPS download page.
- Install the software and click the WPS Office icon to open it.
- Click the “Menu” option in the left pane and choose “Open” in the drop-down list.
- Navigate to the folder where the XLSX file is saved on your Mac under the “OpenFile” menu.
- Click “Open”, and you can view the file on your macOS device.
This guide discussed how to open XLSX files on a Mac using Microsoft Excel and the Numbers app. We’ve also discussed utilizing Google sheets and a few third-party apps, like OpenOffice and WPS, for viewing these types of files on a macOS platform.
Hopefully, your question is answered in this article, and you can receive and view the XLSX files quickly on your Mac.