Owning an iPhone has its advantages and disadvantages. One of the most significant drawbacks of an iPhone is that it only supports a few video formats, such as m4v, mp4, and mov. It doesn’t support Windows Media Video files. We all encounter situations when we want to play WMV files on our iPhone, but unfortunately, the iPhone doesn’t allow us to.
By default, iPhones don’t support Windows Media Video files; you must follow alternate methods to play Windows Media Video (WMV) files on your iPhone. One of the most common ways to play WMV files on iPhone/iOS is to convert them into MP4 video format. You can then easily play the converted MP4 file on your iPhone.
We know it seems tricky, but we will simplify this for you. In this article, we have mentioned all the possible methods to play WMV files on your iPhone. We explained all the methods in detail to help you understand the process better. You can use any of the mentioned methods to run WMV files on your iPhone/iOS.
2 Ways To Play WMV Files on iPhone
You can play WMV files on your iPhone with two different methods. We have explained all possible ways to play Windows Media Video files on an iPhone. You can follow any of the below-mentioned methods to run WMV files on your iPhone or iPad.
Method #1: Using Third-Party Applications
One of the methods to play WMV files on an iPhone is using third-party WMV players. You will find different WMV players on the App Store, such as OPLayer, PlayerXtreme, GPlayer, etc.
You can simply download any of the mentioned WMV players and open the WMV files using the downloaded third-party WMV player. We are using the PlayerXtreme app for demonstration purposes; you can use a different app, and the steps would be the same.
Here’s how you can follow the below-mentioned steps to play WMV files using the PlayerXtreme app.
- Open the App Store on your iPhone.
- Tap on the magnifying glass icon and search “PlayerXtreme” in the search bar.
- Install the PlayerXtreme app on your iPhone.
- Download the VMV file on your iPhone. The VMV file will be saved in the “Downloads” folder.
- Head to the “Downloads” folder and tap on the VMV file.
- Tap on the share icon.
- Scroll down and tap on the “More” icon.
- Search for “PlayerXtreme” in the options.
- Tap on the “Copy to PlayerXtreme” option.
- On the next screen, press “Play” from the given options. Once done, the WMV file will now start playing.
Method #2: Using WMV to MP4 Converters
You can also play WMV files on iPhone by converting them to the MP4 format. Apple only supports three video formats, and one among them is MP4. The Any Video Converter software can convert your WMV files into MP4 files.
Here’s how you can convert your WMV file into an MP4 file.
- Open the Any Video Converter website on your PC.
- Click on the “Download” button to download the software on your system.
- Open the Any Video Converter app and click the “Add File(s)” button.
- Select the WMV file from your PC’s local storage.
- Select your “Export Format” to “MP4”.
- Click on “Profile” from the right-sidebar to get the drop-down.
- Choose your device from the list of devices you want to play the video.
- Select the “Output Location”.
- Click on the “Convert Now” button to start the conversion.
- Head to the “History” section to quickly locate the file destination.
- Send the MP4 file to your iPhone using AirDroid or SnapDrop.net.
iPhones only support three video formats: m4v, mp4, and mov. As a result, it doesn’t let you play WMV files on your phone. Yet, some authentic ways to run WMV files on your iPhone exist. You can follow the abovementioned methods to open and run WMV files on your iPhone. This is how you can easily play WMV format files on your iPhone.
Frequently Asked Questions
iPhones don’t support WMV files. Hence, you can’t play WMV files on your iPhone, but you can use third-party VMV players to run WMV files on your iPhone. You can download the VLC Media Player on your iOS device from the Apple App Store. Once downloaded, you can use it to open WMV files on iOS.
You can use third-party WMV players, like OPlayer, GPlayer, and PlayerXtreme, to play a WMV file on your iPhone or Android device. You can also try the VLC player to play back WMV files on your iPhone, iPad, or Android device.