The Xbox One controller was released on November 22, 2013. Exactly eight years after the release of the Xbox 360. As expected, it came with advanced features but somehow maintained the design of the Xbox 360. Other variants of Xbox controllers have been released in subsequent years.
Let’s explore different backup methods for your Xbox One Controller battery and battery recharge.
Xbox One Controller Features
The Xbox one controller is improved with the following added features:
- Trigger rumble motors.
- Haptic feedback.
- IR sensors to interact with Kinect.
- Battery pack “flush” with the controller.
- Faster response time.
- Micro USB port for charging and wired gaming.
How To Recharge Xbox One Controller
One exciting thing about the Xbox One controller is the various ways you can charge it.
Use the Play And Charge Kit
The Xbox One comes with a play and charge kit. You don’t have to stop your game when the battery goes down. You can simply connect your controller to the play and charge kit and play on.
What you should know about The Play and Charge Kit:
- Just as the name implies, you can keep gaming while it charges your controller. There is no need to pause or opt-out of that Call of Duty because your controller has a flat battery, just connect to your standby play and charge kit and play on.
- You can save money with the play and charge kit available because you won’t have to buy AA batteries unless you just want them as substitutes.
- It takes a maximum time of 4 hours to charge fully.
- The play and Charge kit has a LED indicator on the cable to know if it is charging. The LED shows an orange light when charging, and it changes to white when it has charged fully.
- It has a rechargeable battery pack suitable for use with all Xbox One controllers.
- It also comes with a USB cable that lets you plug the controller into your Xbox Console for the Xbox One controller to charge.
- You can also use your controllers to play games on your laptop with the USB.
So many features for a standby rechargeable kit, right? Well, we aren’t finished yet. The play and charge kit can also charge any Xbox One controller, whether for Windows 10 or Xbox One itself.
Connect Controller to Console
Here is another way to recharge your Xbox One controller if you don’t want to buy the play and charge kit. This can be done with virtually any USB cord. Get a working USB cord and connect both ends to your Xbox One controller and the console as they should fit.
Use AA Batteries
You can also get AA alkaline batteries for your controller, preferably from the brands recommended by the manufacturer. Not everyone likes this option because of the need to change these batteries from time to time. However, it is important to know that the capacity of the AA battery is over 2,500MAH, which gives you a total gaming time of 4 hours, give or take. While the Play And Charge Kit is around 1,600MAH, it lasts 30hours. All you have to do to enjoy nonstop gaming is to get rechargeable AA batteries or as many disposable AA batteries as possible.
Another reason why AA batteries are more convenient for use is because, unlike the rechargeable battery packs that wear out over time, AA batteries are easy to replace.
Swap Controller’s Battery Pack
This should be included on your scale of preference when looking to get rechargeable options for your Xbox One controller. The Otterbox battery pack has two docks with one battery each. You can easily swap your Xbox One controller’s battery with one of the batteries from the Otterbox battery pack while gaming.
- The Otterbox box battery pack has two swappable backup batteries that are always ready when you need them.
- Each Otterbox battery pack lasts up to 10 hours which gives you a total of 20 hours or less, depending on the games you are playing.
- USB charging cable for you to connect it to a power outlet.
- It takes about 3 hours for both batteries to be fully charged.
- A LED light that turns red when the battery is running low.
- Easy to grab and swap.
I could go on and on in listing features that different rechargeable backup batteries offer for different gadgets. But these are the ones you will find very helpful in recharging your Xbox One controller. It is very okay to have more than one backup plan for your Xbox One controller, provided you have the cash to go for it.
Another takeaway for you: Of all the methods mentioned in this article, AA batteries are the most cost-effective, and they also offer the most gaming time before running low.
Frequently Asked Questions
Yes. You can charge your Xbox One controller using an Andriod micro USB cord.
You can charge your phone with an Xbox console, but you shouldn’t because it is not made for that purpose.
If your Xbox One controller isn’t coming on, check the battery to ensure they are correctly fixed. If you are charging with a USB cord, you can also check the ports to be sure the cable is connected correctly.
The Xbox One controller’s charging stand stops charging once it is fully charged. A green light also shows at the bottom of the charging stand to indicate that it is fully charged.
Your Xbox One controller is designed to notify you when the battery is running low. After the first notification, it lasts for about 30 minutes before it finally shuts off. You don’t want to be stuck in the middle of your game due to this, so it is always advisable to get other charging options ready.