Have you spilled something on your keyboard and want to clean all the keys and the area underneath? Luckily, removing keyboard keys is not that complicated.
Here’s how to remove keyboard keys.
1. Unplug your keyboard and take photos of the keys.
2. Insert a flat-faced screwdriver below the upper corner of the key.
3. Gently apply upward pressure while pressing the screwdriver below the key.
4. Repeat the same process for the rest of the keyboard keys.
We took the time to write a comprehensive step-by-step guide on removing keyboard keys. We will also explore the process of cleaning the keyboard keys.
Removing Keyboard Keys
If you don’t know how to remove keyboard keys, our following 4 step-by-step methods will help you do this task easily.
Method #1: Removing Keyboard Keys With a Screwdriver
You can use any flat tool, like a screwdriver, to remove the keyboard keys by doing these steps.
You can also use a paperclip to remove your keyboard keys by unwinding them and making a “U” shape.
- Switch off your computer and unplug your keyboard.
- Take a photo of your keyboard to insert the keys in their correct place afterward.
- Insert a screwdriver with a flat edge under the upper corner of the keycap.
- Gently apply pressure in the upward direction while pressing the screwdriver below the key.
Repeat the above process to remove all the keyboard keys and clean the dirt below.
Method #2: Removing Keyboard Keys With a Keycap Puller
Another way of removing keyboard keys is using a plastic or wire keycap puller by doing these steps.
A wire keycap puller is less likely to make scratches on the keyboard keys.
- Switch off your computer and unplug the keyboard.
- Take a photo of your keyboard to insert the keys correctly afterward.
- Slide the edges of the keycap puller beneath a key and twist it slightly.
- Pull the keycap puller upwards to remove the key.
Method #3: Removing Keyboard Keys on a Laptop
If you want to remove the keyboard keys of your laptop, do these steps.
- Turn off your laptop and take a picture of your keyboard to know the exact location of the keys.
- Apply gentle pressure with your fingernail at the key’s corner to remove it.
You can also use a butter knife to pry up the keys. But, be gentle and stay patient while removing large keys like the “Enter” and spacebar keys because they have stabilizing pins underneath.
If your keyboard is backlit, you need to be gentler and more careful while removing the keys.
Method #4: Removing Keyboard Keys on a MacBook
MacBook users need to do the following steps to remove keyboard keys.
- Shut down your MacBook.
- Use a flathead screwdriver and press it gently onto the left bottom of the key on your keyboard.
- You will hear a snap sound, so now you can remove the entire key assembly.
Repeat the above process to remove the keys you want on your MacBook’s keyboard.
How To Clean Keyboard Keys
You can clean all your keyboard keys after removing them from your keyboard by doing these steps.
- Follow the abovementioned steps to remove your keyboard keys and collect them in a container.
- Dip the keys in lukewarm soapy water. You can also clean the keycaps with alcohol to remove dirt and grime.
- Let the keycaps stay in the solution for 45 minutes.
- Take out the keycaps and dry them with a towel.
- Let the keys dry for 6 hours and reassemble them on your keyboard.
Instead of removing the keys, you can also clean them on your keyboard by doing these steps.
- Switch off your PC and unplug your keyboard.
- Turn your keyboard upside down to remove any food particles and loose debris.
- Use a cotton swab dipped in isopropyl alcohol to clean the edges of the keys.
- Dip a cloth in Isopropyl alcohol and scrub all the keys.
- Use a dry cloth to wipe off the keyboard.
In this guide on removing keyboard keys, we’ve explored the methods for removing keycaps with a screwdriver and keycap puller. We’ve also shared methods for removing keys from a Laptop and a MacBook.
Moreover, we’ve discussed how to clean the keyboard keys after removing them.
Hopefully, your question is answered in this article, and now you can quickly pry off your keyboard keys to clean them.
Frequently Asked Questions
The best tool to remove dirt from keyboard keys is compressed air. However, you can also use a soft brush, a microfiber cloth, a toothpick, a cotton swab, and tape to clean the keys.
All keyboard keys are not universal. If you want to replace your keys, check if they are compatible with your keyboard.