Putting your screen lock PIN on Android to unlock your phone every time can be a bit of a hassle. It can be particularly annoying if you tend to forget your password or if your child often ends up permanently locking your phone by entering the wrong PIN again and again.
However, removing the screen lock PIN can solve all these problems. And to do that, you need to make some changes to the lock screen PIN in Settings on your Android phone. In some cases, you might have to disable the Android Device Administrator. But if you’ve forgotten your PIN and want to remove it, you will have to factory reset your phone.
Not sure how to go about removing the screen lock PIN? Here’s everything you need to know.
Is the Screen Lock Pin on Android Necessary?
Setting up a screen lock is essential for keeping your personal information safe and preventing unauthorized access. All Android phones come with a built-in security system to lock your phone’s screen, and you can do that by setting up a password, a pattern lock, a PIN, or a fingerprint.
However, if entering a password or PIN every time to unlock your phone is getting frustrating, you can remove the screen lock PIN.
How To Remove Screen Lock Pin on Android
If you remember your PIN, then there are two things you can do: change the settings and disable the Android administrator. However, if you no longer remember your PIN, then the only thing you can do is factory reset your phone. This will wipe everything from the device, including the screen lock PIN.
Let’s discuss all these methods in a little more detail.
Method #1: Set Screen Lock PIN to “None”
The easiest way to disable the screen lock is to change the settings for the screen lock PIN. For this, you will need to go to Settings, but keep in mind that the settings for the lock screen can vary from one Android device to another. But in general, here’s what you need to do.
- Go to Settings > “Security” (or “Location & Security“, depending on your device).
- Tap on “Lock Screen Password” and “Screen Lock“.
- Enter the correct PIN.
- Tap “None” and confirm to remove the screen lock PIN.
Method #2: Disable the Android Device Manager
Some Android devices don’t allow you to remove the screen lock PIN, and you must disable the Device Administrator if that’s the case with your device. Here’s how.
- Go to Settings > “Security“.
- Go to “Device Administrators” to see all the apps that might restrict you from making changes to the screen lock settings.
- Tap on “Android Device Manager” and tap “Disable“.
Method #3: Factory Reset the Phone
You must do a factory reset if you’ve forgotten your PIN and can’t unlock your phone. This will open the phone and remove the screen lock PIN.
A factory reset will permanently delete your data and files. We recommend going ahead with this method only if you have a backup of all the essential files, documents, photos, etc.
Here’s how you can factory reset your phone without unlocking it.
- Switch off the device by holding the power button and selecting the right option (depending on your Android device).
- Press and hold both the power and volume down buttons together to put the phone in Recovery Mode. Release the buttons once a Start menu appears on the screen.
- Select the Recovery Mode by pressing the volume down button and press the power button to confirm.
- Choose “Wipe Data/Factory Reset” in the same way.
- Select “Yes” to factory reset the phone.
The process will take a few minutes, but after that, your device will reset, removing the screen lock PIN.
You now know how to remove the screen lock PIN on Android. It’s straightforward and hardly takes any time. And once you remove the lock PIN, you won’t have to worry about forgetting your password or your child accidentally locking your phone permanently!
Frequently Asked Questions
There is no master PIN or code that you can use to unlock all phones, and each device has a different code set up by the user himself. Phones often have a default SIM PIN, 1234 or 0000, but that PIN is for the SIM card, and you can change it yourself too.