Do you want to get rid of the misspelled words saved on your phone’s keyboard? Although most users find it difficult to do so, removing words from the Dictionary on Android is very simple.
To remove words from the Dictionary on Android, open Settings and go to System > Languages & Input > Virtual Keyboard > Gboard > Dictionary > Personal Dictionary. Select the language from which you want to delete the words. Long-press the saved words one by one and tap the trash icon to delete them.
We took the time to write a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to remove words from a dictionary on Android. We will also explore the process of deleting words on third-party keyboards.
- Removing Words From Dictionary on Android
Removing Words From Dictionary on Android
If you don’t know how to remove words from the Dictionary on your Android device, our following six step-by-step methods will help you do this task easily.
Method #1: Removing Words From Personal Dictionary
The best way to remove automatically learned and manually saved words on your Android device is by deleting them from your personal dictionary with these steps:
- Go to the home screen of your phone and open the Settings app.
Another way to open the “Settings” app is to tap the “gear” icon at the top bar of the keyboard on your Android device.
- Tap System > Languages & Input.
- Tap “Virtual Keyboard” and select “Gboard.”
- Tap “Dictionary” and choose “Personal Dictionary.”
- Tap the language from which you want to delete the words.
- After you select a language, all the saved words will appear on your screen. Select the words you want to remove and tap the trash icon from the upper right corner to delete them.
Method #2: Removing Words from Keyboard
Another method of removing unwanted words from the Dictionary is by deleting them from the keyboard by doing these steps:
- Open any texting app on your Android device.
- Launch the keyboard.
- Type the word you want to remove, and it will appear in the suggestion bar at the top of your keyboard.
- Long press the word and tap the “OK” icon to remove the learned word.
The word is removed from your Android’s Dictionary and will not appear in the suggestion bar again.
Method #3: Removing Learned Words
You can remove all the learned words and data from the Gboard settings by following these steps.
- Open the Settings app from the home screen of your Android phone.
- Tap System > Languages & Input > Virtual Keyboard > Gboard
- Scroll down and tap “Advanced.”
- Scroll to the bottom of the screen and tap the “Delete Learned Words and Data” option.
- Type the words displayed on the screen in the empty field and tap “OK.”
All the learned words saved on your device for typing inputs are deleted.
Method #4: Clearing Cache of Keyboard
You can remove words from Dictionary on your Android device by clearing the keyboard cache in the following way.
- Unlock the home screen of your phone and launch the “Settings” app.
- Tap “Apps & Notifications.”
- Tap “Gboard.”
- Tap “Storage and Cache.”
- Tap “Clear Storage.”
- Tap “Clear Data.”
All the saved words and phrases are deleted from the keyboard memory.
Method #5: Removing Words From Grammarly
If you are using a third-party keyboard like Grammarly on your Android device, do these steps to remove the words from its dictionary.
- Launch the Grammarly Companion app on your phone.
- Tap “Grammarly Settings.”
- TAP “Manage Personal Dictionary.”
- Enter the word you want to delete in the search bar.
- Swipe left on the word, and it will be deleted from your Grammarly dictionary.
You can also add a removed word again in the Grammarly dictionary. In the “Manage Personal Dictionary” tab, tap the “+” icon, enter the word, and tap “Add.”
Method #6: Removing Words From Microsoft Swiftkey
Many users use the Microsoft Swiftkey keyboard on their Android phones. If you are one of them, you can do these steps to remove words from Swiftkey’s Dictionary.
- Open the “Settings” app from the home screen of your phone and tap “System.”
- Tap “Language & Input” & “Virtual Keyboard.”
- Tap “Microsoft Swiftkey Keyboard.”
- Tap “Typing.”
- Tap “Clear Typing Data.”
- Tap “Continue” in the dialog box, and all the automatically and manually saved words are removed from the Microsoft Swiftkey keyboard.
In this guide on removing words from a dictionary on Android, we’ve discussed simple methods to delete the automatically learned and manually saved words on your device. We’ve also discussed removing words from Grammarly and Microsoft Swiftkey keyboard dictionary.
Hopefully, your question is answered in this article, and you can now type with better and more accurate words.