Isn’t it frustrating to search for the downloaded files when they are saved in jumbled and random words? What makes it even harder is that you cannot rename them. But you can rename files on Android. How? Lucky that you asked the question.
Locate the Files application on your device; it may have a different name. Search for the file you want to rename through the search bar. Tap and hold the file to reveal the three dots at the bottom of the screen. Click it and select “Rename“. Type in the desired name, and you are all set.
In this blog, we will learn how to rename a downloaded file on an Android device. Moreover, we will discuss if there is a way to rename batch files altogether. So, let’s start right away.
Method #1: How To Rename Downloaded Files Through the File Manager
- Find the Files Manager. It may go by “Files“, “My Files“, “File Manager“, and “Samsung Files“.
- Head to the downloaded files. You can also search for the desired file through the search bar.
- Long-press the desired file.
- If you see the “Rename” option, click it. If you don’t, there must be three dots appearing on the screen. Tap it; then click “Rename“.
- Type in the new name you want the file to have.
- Click “OK” to confirm the process.
Method #2: How To Rename Files Through Google Files
If you do not trust the Files app on your device, you may be a fan of the Google Files app. It is a handy application that helps you assess your storage needs. Here is how to rename a file if you use Google Files.
- Launch the application and click the “Browse” button.
- Find the folder where the desired file is present. You can also search for the file through the search bar.
- Once there, select the list view icon from the top-right corner of the screen. This will make it easier to read the files.
- Click the arrow icon next to the file.
- A pop-up menu will appear before you. Search and tap “Rename“.
- Type in the file’s new name and confirm by selecting “OK“.
How To Rename Photos on Android
- Head to the Photos app on your device.
- Find the photo you want to rename.
- Long-press to select the photo.
- There will be three dots appearing at the bottom of the screen. Click it.
- Press “Rename“.
- Type in the desired name for the photo.
- Tap “Done” to confirm the process.
How To Rename Batch Files on Android
There is a way that you can rename files in bulk. Although every file would not have the same name, they will have a similar name. You can quickly identify such files with your naked eyes.
But to do that, you must have a third-party application on your Android device. Many such software allows you to rename bulk files, like ES Files Explorer or Bulk Rename Wizard application.
You don’t need a third-party application if you are a Windows user. You can simply select all necessary files and right-click on them to reveal the “Rename” option. Or, you may press the F2 key as a shortcut and rename bulk files on Windows.
Renaming files on Android is quite a straightforward method. Plus, you have the freedom to do it through multiple applications, the one that you feel most comfortable using. A few simple steps can rename all files, whether a downloaded file or a photo. We hope that our blog was able to guide you through the process and answer all burning questions.
Frequently Asked Questions
None on Android, but if you are a computer user, you can select the file and press F2 as a shortcut to rename it.
If you cannot rename your files, it may be because the file is open in the background. Make sure you remove the caches and close all files before renaming them. This should fix the issue. It could also be that you are trying to rename a protected file. If it is grey, you do not have access to rename it.
No, it will not. But be careful while renaming the file. If you change the extension, it may remove the file’s current format. It is best to leave the part of the file name after the full stop.
You have the freedom to play with 255 characters, but it is best to keep the name short for easy understanding.