Do you want to delete all the apps and customized settings on your Apple TV? Don’t worry; resetting this gadget is a walk in the park if you know the correct instructions.
To reset an Apple TV, press the “Menu” button on the remote to access the Home screen. Open “Settings” and select “General”. Select “Reset” and choose “Reset All Settings” in the confirmation box.
We took the time to write a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to reset your Apple TV. We will also explore the method for resetting the Apple TV remote.
- Resetting an Apple TV
- How To Reset an Apple TV Remote
Resetting an Apple TV
If you don’t know how to reset your Apple TV, our 5 step-by-step methods will help you do this task easily.
Method #1: Resetting an Apple TV [3rd Generation and Earlier]
You can follow these steps to reset the 3rd generation or earlier models of Apple TV.
- Turn on your Apple TV and press the “Menu” button on the remote to access the Home screen.
- Launch “Settings”.
- Press “General”.
- Select “Reset”.
- Select “Reset All Settings”.
Now, the screen of the Apple TV turns black. After the reset process is completed, you can set it up again.
Method #2: Resetting an Apple TV [4th Generation and Later]
If you are using the 4th generation or later model of Apple TV, follow these steps to reset your device to factory settings.
- Switch on your Apple TV and press the “Menu” button on the remote to access the Home screen.
- Open “Settings”.
- Press “System”.
- Select “Reset”.
- Choose “Reset” in the confirmation box.
Don’t unplug your Apple TV while it’s on reset mode. Instead, wait for the process to end first.
Method #3: Resetting an Apple TV With Mac
You can also reset your Apple TV by connecting it to your Mac computer by following these steps.
- Unplug your Apple TV from the power outlet and remove all the HDMI cables connected to it.
- Connect your Mac computer to Apple TV using a USB cable.
- Launch Finder from the dock of your Mac computer.
- Choose “Apple TV” on the screen.
- Click “Restore”.
After the restoration process is completed, plug your Apple TV into the power outlet and connect the HDMI cables to the respective ports.
Method #4: Resetting an Apple TV With a Windows PC
Instead of using a Mac, you can also use a Windows PC to reset your Apple TV by doing these steps.
- Turn off the Apple TV, unplug the power outlet and disconnect the HDMI cables.
- Use a USB cable to connect your Windows PC to Apple TV.
- Go to the Start menu of your PC and launch iTunes.
- Choose “Apple TV” from the media sources list on iTunes.
- Click “Restore Apple TV”.
Mac users running Mojave or earlier versions can follow the same Windows PC steps for resetting the Apple TV.
Method #5: Resetting an Apple TV via TunesKit
If you have lost your Apple TV remote, you can use a third-party tool to reset your device by following these steps.
- Download and install the TunesKit iOS System Recovery tool on your Windows PC or Mac.
- Launch the recovery tool on your computer.
- Connect your Apple TV to the computer using a USB cable.
- Click “Start” in the TunesKit pop-up box.
- Click “Advanced Mode”.
- Select your Apple TV model and click “Download”.
- After the download is complete, click “Repair”.
Wait for the process to complete. Now, your Apple TV is reset to default settings.
How To Reset an Apple TV Remote
If you are experiencing issues with your Apple TV remote after resetting the device, you can also reset the remote in the following way.
- Turn off your Apple TV.
- Disconnect the power outlet of your device.
- Wait for 6 seconds.
- Connect the power cable to your Apple TV.
- Turn on your Apple TV and use the remote to check if the default settings are restored.
If the method mentioned above has not worked for you, follow these steps to reset your Apple TV remote.
- Turn on your Apple TV.
- Press the volume up and menu buttons simultaneously on the Apple TV remote.
- A “Pairing Remote” screen appears.
- Keep your Apple TV remote close to your device until they are paired.
In this guide on resetting Apple TV, we’ve discussed several methods of restoring the factory settings on your device. In addition, we’ve shared methods for resetting the Apple TV remote if it malfunctions after the device reset.
Hopefully, your question is answered in the article, and you can now quickly delete all your data and customized settings from your Apple TV.