You can reset an Orbi router either by performing a soft or hard reset or using a web browser to access the router’s dashboard and erase the pre-defined settings.
The Orbi Router System is a premium quality WiFi that can quickly eliminate the dead zones in your home and access fast surfing speed, thus making it a simple yet practical choice for your home’s WiFi system.
However, a few users report speed and connectivity issues with the router that can be sorted out by resetting it. If you are not familiar with the process, we’ve taken the time to write a comprehensive guide for you that explains how to reset an Orbi router in uncomplicated steps.
Why Do I Need To Reset My Orbi Router?
Netgear’s Orbi routers sometimes start to revert or erase personalized settings due to a power outage or any other issue, resulting in a change in network settings, recovery options, and WiFi connectivity issues.
You might also experience that the router forgets safety keys and passwords, and you need to enter the login credentials repeatedly. It can be frustrating to face these issues, and you may be looking for a solid fix. So let’s get on with it.
Resetting Orbi Router
Resetting the Orbi router is a mix and match of easy and complicated methods. Our step-by-step instructions will help you successfully go through the process and quickly fix the issue on hand.
So without wasting any more of your time, here are the four methods of how to reset the Orbi router.
Method #1: Power Cycling the Router
In the first method, you’ll try a different approach and reset the router by going through the power cycling process. Power cycling can fix any glitches that may cause connectivity issues; however, the process will not erase passwords, safety keys or change the network settings of the Orbi Router.
- First, turn off the router by pressing the Power button on the Orbi router.
- Unplug the power cable on the back of the router or unplug the power cable from the main wall.
- Wait for 30-45 seconds and plug the power cable into the Orbi router.
- Finally, switch on the router and see if this fixes your issue.
Method #2: Soft Resetting the Router
The soft reset method is quick, as it does not require rebooting the router completely. It is a way to reset the connection between the modem and the provider.
Follow the steps to perform a soft reset on the Orbi Router:
- Ensure that the router is switched on and all the lights are blinking.
- Unplug the cable that connects the modem to the Orbi Router.
- Wait for 15 seconds and reconnect the cable to the router.
- Reconnect the cable to the router.
Method #3: Hard Resetting the Router
The hard reset method is often followed if the admin has forgotten the password or safety key. It will erase all default settings, passwords, customizations, usernames, and safety keys.
- Switch on the router and make sure it is connected to a stable power source.
- Locate a small hole named Reset on the back of the router.
- Grab a long thin metal such as a paper clip and insert it in the Reset hole.
- Press the reset button for about 10-15 seconds and release it.
- Give the router some time to go through the reset process and switch back on automatically.
Method #4: Using Web-Browser Configuration
- Launch an internet browser (Chrome, Mozilla Firefox, etc.) on your PC.
- Enter the default IP Address (192.168.1.1 or 192.168.0.1) in URL Bar.
- Type in your default login details and access the dashboard.
- Nw, click on the Advanced tab and go to the Backup Settings in the left pane.
- Click on the Erase and then click Yes to let the router reset its settings.
Using WPS button
If none of the above methods workouts, we have a workaround. Follow the steps to reset the Orbi Router for effective performance.
- Check that the router is turned on and is connected to a stable power source.
- Find the button labeled as Wireless or WPS.
- Hold these two buttons for 15 seconds.
- Release the buttons on the point the Red LED light starts blinking.
- The Orbi Router will reset and will take some time to start again.
Remember that resetting the Orbi Router with any method will not erase the firmware to an old version. It will only change passwords, safety keys, IP addresses, and DNS to the default settings, which you can reconfigure later.
In this guide on resetting the Orbi Router, we have discussed resetting the router through a power cycle, soft reset, hard reset, and browser configuration methods. We’ve also discussed resetting the Orbi Router to its default settings using the WPS button.
We hope that this guide helped you in many ways and resolved the issues with your Orbi router. Now you can quickly reset the Orbi Router and enjoy the internet in your home.
Frequently Asked Questions
The default password ID to reset the Orbi Router online is blank. It means you have to leave the field empty.
The password and username are usually located on the back of the router. If not, then check with your purchaser.
The latest version of an Orbi Router WiFi system can provide an internet connection to 6 devices. When you reset the Orbi Router, all the saved settings will be erased, including SSID and password.
A solid blue light on the Orbi router means that the router’s connection with the satellite is good. The amber light represents a fair connection.
However, if the light on the router is flashing pink, it means the communication between the router and the satellite is failing. In this case, reset the Orbi router. If the issue persists, contact support.