Many situations occur that will prompt us to restore photos from our iCloud. For example, when changing an iPhone or signing into another iOS device. You may also need to restore your photos from iCloud if they have been wiped out of your current device.
There are many ways to restore your photos from iCloud to iPhone, and the most appropriate way to restore them depends on your situation. In other words, recovering photos from an iPhone swap is not the same as recovering data from iPhone data loss.
In this article, you will see the various scenarios for restoring data from the iCloud to the iPhone. Furthermore, you shall see the various methods most suitable for you to restore your photos from the Apple iCloud.
How To Restore Photos From iCloud to iPhone
- Situation #1: When You Factory Reset, Sign In to Another iPhone, or Change Your iPhone
- Situation #2: When You Clear Photos From iCloud
- Situation #3: When You Clear Photos From Photos App
- Situation #4: When You Clear iCloud Photos Saved in iCloud Drive
- Situation #5: When You Clear Photos on iCloud Drive in Files App
- Situation #6: When You Want Your iCloud Drive Photos Independently Saved on Your Photos App
How To Restore Photos From iCloud to iPhone
You can restore photos to your iPhone from your iCloud using the iCloud website, iCloud Drive, and iCloud Backup. Also, you can use the Photos app if you recently deleted photos from your iPhone.
Apple iCloud provides you with free 5GB storage. When you upload your photos from your iPhone to the cloud, you can restore them to your iPhone.
The method used depends on the circumstances you are in. Here are the different ways to restore photos to your iPhone using iCloud based on the situation.
Situation #1: When You Factory Reset, Sign In to Another iPhone, or Change Your iPhone
If you recently wiped out all files from your iPhone through a factory reset, you will lose all external data, including your photos.
Also, if you are signing in to a new or another iPhone device, you should restore your photos using the steps given below.
Here is how to restore photos from iCloud in these situations.
- Go to your iPhone Settings app.
- Click “Sign in to Apple ID“.
- Input your Apple ID and password and sign in.
- Click your Apple ID account name.
- Tap “iCloud“.
- Toggle the “Photos” on.
Toggling the “iCloud Photos“ will allow your pictures to download and display on the Photos app of your iPhone.
Situation #2: When You Clear Photos From iCloud
Sometimes, you may delete the photos in iCloud under “Manage Storage” when the storage is full. Days after, you may realize that you need these photos.
The good news is that when you delete photos from the cloud, the photos are temporarily saved for 30 days in the “Recently Deleted” folder.
In this situation, you can only restore your photos when you sign in to your iCloud account.
Here is how to restore deleted photos in your iCloud and send them to your iPhone.
- Go to the iCloud.com website.
- Log in with your Apple ID and click “Photos“.
- Click the “Recently Deleted” folder to access your deleted photos in the top-left corner.
- Restore the photos and download them to your iPhone.
Situation #3: When You Clear Photos From Photos App
Unlike clearing photos directly from iCloud, clearing photos from the Photos app is much easier to recover. However, you must recover them within 30 days before they are permanently deleted.
You should do the following to recover pictures you deleted on your iPhone photo app.
- Open the Photos app.
- Click on “Album” at the bottom right of the screen.
- Scroll down and click “Recently Deleted” under “Utilities“.
- Tap or long-press the image you want to restore.
- Click “Recover“.
Situation #4: When You Clear iCloud Photos Saved in iCloud Drive
Saving your photos in iCloud in two folders, iCloud Photos and iCloud Drive, is safer. In this way, You can recover deleted photos if you have previously saved them to an iCloud Drive.
Here are the ways to recover deleted photos saved using iCloud Drive.
- Go to your Settings app.
- Click your Apple ID.
- Click “iCloud“.
- Scroll down and switch the “iCloud Drive” button on.
- Go to your Files app.
- Under “Locations“, click “iCloud Drive” to display the list of all the photos uploaded to iCloud Drive.
Situation #5: When You Clear Photos on iCloud Drive in Files App
If you delete your photos on the Files app, you can recover them within 30 days. Otherwise, you won’t be able to recover them.
Here is how to recover photos deleted on the Files app.
- Open your Files app.
- Under “Locations“, click “Recently Deleted“.
- Long-press the photos you want to recover and click “Restore“.
Situation #6: When You Want Your iCloud Drive Photos Independently Saved on Your Photos App
You can save pictures on your Photos app independent of iCloud photos. In other words, if you delete your iCloud photos, the photos will still be saved on your Photos app.
Here is how to independently save images on your Photos app.
- On your iPhone’s Settings app, click on your “Apple ID“.
- Click “iCloud” > “Photos“.
- Select “Download and Keep Originals“.
Selecting “Download and Keep Originals” will save your photos in iCloud and your iPhone’s internal storage.
Many situations can make us want to recover our iPhone photos when we lose them. Thanks to iCloud storage, you can recover these deleted photos. This article has included the many ways to recover your photos using the Apple iCloud.