Are you wondering how to right-click on your Mac computer using your keyboard instead of a mouse or trackpad? Many users find it complicated, but the process is pretty simple.
To right-click on a Mac keyboard, turn on your device. Then, press the Control key on the Mac keyboard and the left mouse button. Your right-click is registered, and the drop-down menu will open.
We took the time to write a comprehensive step-by-step guide on how to right-click on a Mac keyboard. We will also explore methods for setting up right-click on Magic Mouse and Mac trackpad.
Functions of Right-Clicking on a Mac
You might want to right-click on a Mac computer with the keyboard for the following reasons.
- To see different options like “New Folder”, “Show View Options”, “Change Desktop Background”, “Arrange By”, etc.
- To open a drop-down menu allowing you to open, copy, duplicate, and move files to trash, and many other options.
- To open browser links in a new tab or window, copy the webpage address, etc.
- To change text formatting and change files and folder names.
Right-Clicking on a Mac Keyboard
If you don’t know how to right-click on a Mac keyboard, our following 2 step-by-step methods will help you do this task easily.
Method #1: Via the Control Key
You can right-click on a Mac computer by pressing the Control key on your keyboard following these steps.
- Turn on your Mac computer and wait till you see the macOS dashboard.
- Long press the Control key and press the left mouse button.
- Your right-click is registered, and the drop-down menu will open.
Method #2: Via Keyboard Shortcuts
Another method of right-clicking on a Mac keyboard is pressing the keyboard shortcut by following these steps.
- Click the Apple menu button.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click “Accessibility”. You can also open the “Accessibility” window by pressing the Option + Command + F5. Alternatively, tap the Touch ID button three times on your MacBook.
- Select “Pointer Control”.
- Click the “Alternative Control Methods” tab.
- Check the “Enable Mouse Keys” box to turn on the feature.
Now, click Function + Control + I on your Mac keyboard to right-click on the respective area.
How To Right-Click With the Magic Mouse
If you do not have a Mac keyboard, you can use a Magic Mouse to right-click on your Mac computer by doing these steps.
- Turn on your Mac and click the Apple menu in the top-left corner of the screen.
- Click System Preferences and choose “Mouse”.
- Choose the “Point & Click” tab and tick the “Secondary click” box to enable this feature.
- Click the drop-down menu below the “Secondary click” option and select either side of the Magic Mouse to enable a right click.
Now, you can right-click on your Mac computer from the respective side of your Magic Mouse.
How To Right-Click With the Mac Trackpad
Instead of using a Mac keyboard and Magic Mouse, you can also right-click with a Mac trackpad by doing these steps.
- Switch on your MacBook and click the Apple menu on the top-left side of the screen.
- Click System Preferences.
- Click “Trackpad”.
- Click “Point & Click”.
- Select “Secondary Click”.
- Click the arrow below to open the drop-down menu and select a suitable option to right-click with the Mac trackpad.
You can also change the tracking speed of the Mac trackpad by dragging the slider in the “Point & Click” tab.
In this guide on how to right-click on a Mac keyboard, we’ve shared methods for right-clicking via the Control key and keyboard shortcuts. We’ve also shared why to right-click on Mac.
Moreover, we’ve discussed methods for setting up secondary clicks on the Magic Mouse and Mac trackpad.
Hopefully, your question is answered in this article, and now you can quickly set up the right-click on your system.
Frequently Asked Questions
After you plug in your third-party mouse, it is automatically detected by your Mac computer. Press the right button on your device to register your click. If it is not working, press the right button on the mouse and the Control key on your Mac keyboard.
You can right-click on a Force Touch Trackpad with your fingers applying slightly more pressure than other trackpads. You can also adjust the “Force Click” from System Preferences on your Mac.
To correct misspelled words with right-click, launch a texting app on your Mac computer (e.g., Apple Mail). Type a sentence, and a red line will appear under the misspelled word. Hover the cursor over the word and right-click. A contextual menu with spelling suggestions will open.