Google Docs is a great tool that is highly versatile and accessible and does not take up space on your hard drive. While working on it, you may find yourself in need of saving the file to your computer. However, you can easily do it without leaving the document in a few seconds.
You can save Google Docs to the computer by clicking on the File in the top menu bar under the file title, selecting Download from the drop-down menu, and saving the file in various formats such as .docx, .odt, .rtf, .pdf, .txt, .html, and .zipped.
Google Docs automatically saves the file while you are connected to the internet. Therefore, you cannot access it offline and may need to download the document for later viewing.
Therefore, we have written a detailed guide on saving Google Docs to your computer.
What Is Google Docs?
Google Docs is a free online editor’s suite and data storage service that lets you create, save, and edit documents online while working together with other users. You can use it on your computer via an internet browser or download its app available on Android, iOS, Windows, and other platforms.
Google Drive services offer a free word processor, including Google Sheets and Google Slides for spreadsheets and presentations.
Saving Google Docs to Computer
Google Docs does not require any software installation, making it highly desirable for many users. Moreover, it also allows you to download the document to share it with others offline, or you just prefer working on Microsoft Word.
So without any delay, here are the two quickest methods for how to save a Google Doc on a computer.
Method #1: Using File Menu
Whether you are using Google Docs from an internet browser on Windows, macOS, or any other device, you can quickly save the file to your computer by following these steps:
- Open Google Docs.
- Open the document you need to keep.
- Now click “File” from the toolbar at the top.
- Move your cursor to “Download” and choose the bespoke file format.
- Now select the destination and save the file on your computer.
To save a shared document, click on the link provided. The file is opened on Google Docs in a web browser. Now click on the file at the top and navigate to “Download.” Next, choose the desired file format and file destination. Click “Save.”
Method #2: Using Google Drive
Using Google Drive to download a Google Doc is a great way to keep your data safe. To do so, follow these steps:
- Open Google Drive on your web browser.
- Now browse the file you want to download and right-click on it.
- Next, click “Download” from the menu; it will begin scanning the file for viruses.
- The “Save As” window will pop up; select the destination and click “Save.”
- Once downloaded, the document is saved on your computer.
Saving a Google Doc on iPhone
You can access the Google Docs file on your iPhone without the internet by downloading it in the following way:
- First, open the “Google Docs” app.
- Next, search the document and tap the three-dots menu button next to the file title.
- Select “Send a Copy” and choose the format you want; tap “Ok” to confirm the selection.
- Next, tap “Save to Files” and select the destination where you want to save the document.
- Finally, tap “Save.”
To save a shared Google Doc on an iPhone, tap on the link. Once the document is opened, tap the three-dot menu on the top right. Now select “Send a Copy” and tap on “Save to Files.” Next, choose the destination and tap “Save.” The document is now saved on your iPhone.
Saving a Google Doc on Android
Google Docs allows you to save any file on your Android device via its application. You can download the file in the following way:
- First, open the “Google Docs” app.
- Next, browse the document you want to download.
- Next, tap on the three-dot menu button beside the file title.
- Select “Download.”
- The document starts downloading automatically and is saved in the “Downloads” folder of the “File Manager.”
To save a shared document on Android, tap on the Google Docs link. Once the file is opened, tap on the three-dot menu on the top-right and select “Share and Export.” Now tap on “Save As” to choose the downloaded format you need and press “Ok.” Finally, choose the destination and tap on the “Save” button. Your file is now saved.
In this guide on how to save a Google Doc to a computer, we have discussed what Google Docs is and explored different ways to download a Google Doc in various file formats on a computer and platforms such as Android and iOS.
We hope you are now able to save the Google Doc on your computer and use the document without the internet. Have a great day!